1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Too Much Corrosion?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Mossyoak, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Mossyoak

Mossyoak New Member

I was given a CVA in line 50 Cal with supplies (pyrodex & sabot bullets). The barrel had obvious corrosion ( Powdery white/reddish/rust). Otherwise the trigger and all othe parts are in good condition. After cleaning the barrel there is visible pitting in the barrel. Should I just srape the barrel? I think the gun is about 5 years old. thanks for any input.
  2. Keystone

Keystone New Member

Welcome!
    I would just clean your barrel out real good and oil it real good. If the pitting is real deep...don't shoot it. If the pitting is not deep, you should be okay. It's hard to tell unless you can post some pictures of this. Be safe.
  3. remguage

remguage New Member

cool name and welcome
  4. rammed

rammed New Member

+1 on cleaning the barrel and try it. Getting another barrel would probably not be a cost effective option. :confused:
    CVA does not sell parts.:eek:
    Green mountain used to make a drop in barrel for them, but they don't anymore. :(

Shoot safe

Doug
  5. jbettin

jbettin New Member

I thought CVA just didn't sell parts for their side locks i believe they still sell parts for their inclines
    but I would defiantly try to clean it first. depending on the gun the barrel may be the most expensive part and you may just want to get a whole new gun. seems to me that you can get the cheaper in lines for around $100-$200 less if you catch them on sale or find a good used one. if its CVAs top of the line gun then a barrel replacement may be worth it. I just ordered a new barrel for my CVA sidelock from Deer creek products, if CVAs main line cant help you then try them
  6. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Hi! +1 , Keystone. Very good advice. Be carefully. ;)