Too much time on the X-Box?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by offeror, Jan 5, 2005.

1. offeror

offeror New Member

This may make you feel superior, or old, depending...

From the Associated Press:

High school students in a Canton, Ohio, multimedia class know their iPods, MP3 players, DVDs, and HDTV.

But not a single one of 37 students knew what microfilm or a mimeograph is, and most thought a fuzz buster was a vacuum cleaner.

Beta, 8-track tapes, and 45 RPM were also lost on them. One Junior asked whether Beta was a medicine.

Most students seemed "vaguely familiar" with a rotary dial phone -- because some grandparents still have them.

One 15-year-old guessed 45 RPM was "how fast a modem runs." After getting the correct explanation, he said, "oh, you mean those giant black disks? My parents have some in the basement."
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I can't help but think they are surely missing a whole lot more than just "something" - - -

being many of the finer things in our lives!!!

Those are some of the things they "should" know about. I can think of a whole lot of others I'd not expect them to know, i.e., Ediphone cylinders, Magneto/crank phones and so the list would go on. Also, my first car (Model A Roadster) could be easily "cranked" if the battery was weak!

They haven/t lived yet.....
  3. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Nice walk down memoy lane.
  4. Craig

Craig New Member

I truly feel sorry for the kids today, they will never know what it was like growing up in the 50's & 60's.
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

OR,

the late thrities and forties.
  6. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Yep, one of my favorite movies is Christmas Story. Talk about bringing back memories.
  7. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

The times, they are a changin.

Popcorn that does not come out of a microwave? Except in the movie houses, they never heard of it. I thought hot air popcorn poppers were the best thing since sliced bread, when they first came out.

And the list goes on............