Took my golden boy 22lr to the range

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by the Barbarian, Jul 7, 2011.

1. the Barbarian

the Barbarian New Member

I always used to avoid open sights, my 60 year old eyes. Took the GB out, I wanted to try some Eley club I had bought in it. I was so surprised, it put'um right where I pointed it (the lil diamond on a 2" orange stick on bullseye) at 25 yards and everything in the 15 round tube fit under a dime. If only I could say it was off hand, but alas them days is long gone. What fun that rifle is! I alweeze warned to be a cowboy.:D
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Nice job, those GB's are good shooting guns. My son got a Henry Frontier model for his 10th birthday last year, it's now got over 1k rounds through it and no problems at all.

Where do you shoot at?
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Oh I am jealous of that Golden Boy. What a beautiful gun. That is fine shooting any way you do it. I can relate to the off hand difficulties in our "Golden Years".
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

nice shooting nice rifle
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The GB is a fine rifle. Slickern snot on a porcelain doorknob right out of the box and accurate to boot. I wouldn't take anything for mine.
  6. the Barbarian

the Barbarian New Member

I live in a small village 20 miles west of Davenport Iowa called Stockton, pop.60ish and am a proud member of the Oakhill gun club. A better bunch you'll never meet. I hope the place you shoot is the same. I can always count on help with operating problems, stance suggestions, etc. And it's beautiful there, lots of game to see, they must know we can't shoot them, range rules, because it's hard to go a day there without seeing deer, turkey and pheasants.
  7. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

My uncle got a Golden Boy in .17hmr, he loves the fit/finish overall quality of the gun. It has great heft to it as well with that octagon barrel. However when taking it out to the range we really had trouble adjusting the rear sight for 50 yards. It was shooting high no matter what. Maybe it's set up for 100yds+?
  8. the Barbarian

the Barbarian New Member

I ain't no expert... But the 17 HMR shoots just about flat for 125 yards, so I've been told by magazine writers when they first rolled the new round out. There are two bullet weights to consider as well, a 17 grain round with the polymer tip and the slower 20 grain hollow point. I have an early 17HMR Ruger 77-17 with a 24 power Weaver on it and can shoot the heads off of lil plastic army guys at 100 yards. Keep playing with the different brands of ammo, at least in my rifle they all shoot a little different. Also try the heavier hollow points if memory serves there's no price difference. I hope the info helps! the B
  9. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

Well, its just that we had the rear post adjusted all the up, and it was still shooting high. I'm not talking about a few inches, but like a foot from where we were aiming, at 50 yards. We had great groups. I never did so well with open sights, that buckhorn is pretty precise.
  10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Try bringing it back down to the bottom notch and see what that does for ya.;)
  11. azimuth

azimuth New Member

I always use something called FORS when dealing with sights and point of impact. FORS stands for "Front Opposite Rear Same". Since you need your point of impact to move downward, you move your rear sight down, or "Same".

Congrats to the OP for some great shooting! Those GB are wonderful little rifles. I've had one for about a decade now and it is definitely a keeper. Never tried any target ammo in mine, but I may have to sit down with a box of it now and see what it will do.
  12. the Barbarian

the Barbarian New Member

I gotta agree. Raising the back sight raises the trajectory of the rifle. My .22 Henry shoots at the very bottom setting for twenty-five yards. Your's should be exactly the same way. the B
  13. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

[​IMG]

Hey Barbarian, how does other ammo do in the Golden Boy others than the Eley?
  14. the Barbarian

the Barbarian New Member

It likes federal target. Nothing I own seems to do very well with Remington products, including the Rem/Eley stuff. Wolf target works well, CCI. Anything of quality does remarkably well in both my Henrys.
  15. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

That's because Remington rimfire ammo is crap. Not worth wasting money on.