The Firearms Forum banner

Took the young one to the range today.

666 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  gvw3 
#1 ·
I took my 8 year old for his 1st range visit today. Before this the only time he has shot was at our property and it has been 22lr. I didn't want to scare him starting off with his .243 that he got for Christmas and I needed to sight in my new red dot so I brought along my AR15 and my dads M1 carbine. The carbine ended up being too long for him so after I got my ar sighted in I fit it to him and turned him loose. It was 1/2 successful today, he liked the ar and kept a 6" grouping at 30 yards but was jumpy when others were shooting. He also got the talking to of his life when he had an accidental discharge when he jumped after somebody shot next to us. The rifle was pointed down range and nobody was harmed but I didn't want that to happen again. Since he was 5 and got his 1st BB gun he knew to never put your finger in the trigger till ready to fire but with all that was going on he wasn't thinking. I was right beside him anytime he handled the rifle so don't get confused when I say turned him loose that was just meaning I let him shoot. I think next time I will wait till we go to the country for him to shoot and see if we can get his groups better. But all in all it was a fun day for both of us and I can't wait to do it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.