The Firearms Forum banner

Top of the LIne 1911's

Tags
4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Swifty Morgan 
#1 ·
What are the top quality 1911's out there today. I have been out of touch with the gun world the last 12 years. I was in a coma so give me a break! Not really, but I know what some of you may be thinking!

#3 ·
I like Wilson's. That's what I carry. They seem to shoot so smooth. I always thought I would buy nothing else. But know I find myself looking for a Baer. (1911's are so habit forming).
Try to shoot a number of them. Everyone has a personal fav. Or buy one of each.
Lets us know.

#5 ·
The most I have ever spent on a 1911 is for my Colt Wiley Clapp commander. It was just under 1200.00 and I felt like I spent too much. I have a few that are worth more than that but I didnt pay that much for. If I had the spare money, I would probably buy a baer or something similar. But for now, the Sigs I have been buying will suit me fine...

Reactions: ampaterry
#6 ·
I have Colt Golg Cup, Kimber Custom Target, 1st Gen, Springfield Longslide in 45 Super and Essex frame with Ciener 22LR Conversion slide.

I am familiar with Wilson, Ed Brown, etc. I was just wondering if you bought production models which would you buy? I should have said "What top of the line production 1911's", not necessarily the custom shop pistols.

#10 ·
I have two Colt Series 70 Gold Cups. Other than the pin on the rear sight working it's way out or bending which is easy to fix, I shot one in competition for a number of years. They seem to be designed for the lighter loads that bulls eye shooters usually use, they hold up well using hardball as well. You may want to use a slightly heavier recoil spring if doing that. Wolff has a variety of them for that purpose.

#13 ·
If you like a bobtail 1911, the Sig nightmare that slickguns is advertising right now is a good deal! Its 20.00 below dealer cost...

Reactions: tuckerd1
#14 ·
To me I don't consider the higher cost meaning it's the best out there. I prefer the plain jane 1911's with no bells, no whistles, no bull, nutin fancy.
Just a good reliable shooter at a low budget cost.
The auto- ordnance army ww 2 copy 1911a1 is probably the best clone of the orginal available today. The Springfield Armory USGI 1911a1 is another basic gi model.

For me the next step up 1911 would be the Thompson custom 1911a1 in stainless. It comes with some goodies right from the factory.

Just because the cost is higher doesn't mean it's the best shooter. My Chinese norinco 1911a1 was my first project 1911. With about $100 worth of surplus and new parts along with some careful fitting she now shoots clover leads using Russian ball wolf ammo at 25 yards. With its forged steel frame and slide. For a used cost of $300 plus the cost of the parts was $100. With me doing the labor that's not too shabby.

It depends on what you want and how much you want to spend to buy it and then tweaking it for accuracy.

#15 ·
I just posted pics of my new Thompson 1911 in the High Standard thread. I just went out today and ran 50 more rounds thru it. I had a few stovepipes on the final round of 2 magazines but it was flawless with wilson mags. I must say, its very accurate. I was plesantly surprised with the accuracy. I like the looks of it too.

#16 ·
Check the tention on your extractor.
We only should load the 1911 through the magazine. If we put one in the pipe and make the extractor pop over it we retune the extractor.

You can also flare or funnel the bottom opening on the extractor too so it accepts the case rim smoother on the pickup.

#17 ·
I have already tuned the extractor...I am always open for suggestions but just so you know, I have 20 1911s...

#18 ·
"high end" is sure a relative term.
All the really big dollar names mentioned so far are just more than I'm willing to spend even though I could afford them. I spent $1100 on my SIG 1911 STX. I've shot a few Baers and Kimbers. They didn't feel/look/shoot any better than my SIG.
No I'm not equating them. Just relating my personal experience.
I'm sure a $3000-$5000 gun has it's advantages. I'm probably just not sensitive to them. I'd wager most people aren't.

#20 ·
Thats a bit high on that gun Swifty. Someone made 220.00 on that sale...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.