The Firearms Forum banner

Topper 48 .410

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Savario 
#1 ·
I was given a Topper 48 .410. It is empty but the hammer
Is cocked, it won't dry fire because the trigger is all the way
Back and the lever that is used to break the barrel moves
Left and right but won't unlock the barrel. Anyone have any ideas?

#2 ·
Welcome to TFF.
You need to drop the hammer.
Pull the hammer back with your thumb and squeeze the trigger and let the hammer down slow with your finger.
Are you sure it is unloaded?
The hammer needs to be down before you open the action.
You can try pushing the take down lever to the right and holding it there and smacking it over your knee (thigh) the way you would break a piece of wood.
Do this outside so if it is loaded you are safe and it is pointing in a safe direction.
ARE YOU SURE IT IS UNLOADED?
Be VERY careful if you are not sure.
You need to do this so you can have it fixed or fix it yourself.
Mike

#6 ·
gdmoody is right.
The gun will have to be stripped but before this is done I want you to take a wood dowel (if you do not have one a cleaning rod can be used) and on the out side of the barrel lay it so the end is about the end of the barrel at the receiver then mark it at the muzzle end then put it in the barrel and see if it goes all the way in and see if it goes all the way in. This is to MAKE SURE it is unloaded.
Now if you are not familiar with doing this you need to take it to a smith.
The forearm needs to come off and the pins in the receiver need to come out. The gun needs to be taken apart and checked out and rebuilt.
If have never done this this is not the time to start.
You really need to take it to a gunsmith.
Mike

#7 ·
Thanks Mike. The dowel fits all the way in the barrel after measuring
The length from the outside, so should be empty. I found a manual
On the internet and there is a transfer bar that in the firing mechanism that might not be working right. I'll take it to a gun
Smith. Thanks for all your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.