Topper Model 48

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by trailrider666, Jul 26, 2011.

1. trailrider666

trailrider666 New Member

I have a Topper Model 48, 16 ga, single barrel shotgun. The serial number is CM4516. Would anyone know the tear and the value for this gun? The chamber isn't stamped so I'm assuming it would be 2 3/4" chamber.
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

trailrider666,
    Welcome to the forum (despite your apocryphal nomenclature:eek:),
    The H&R Model 48 shotgun was in production (or at least catalogued by H&R) from 1943 to 1957 when it was replaced by the Model 58. The 48 was the result of improvements made to the Model 1908 which became the Model 08 STANDARD.
    Value will depend upon condition (as well as, to a lesser degree, on chambering, 16 ga. not being the most popular) - and current RETAIL values will vary from a high of around $125 for an excellent condition 12 ga down to around $50 or less for a parts gun (I've seen some sell for $10 to $25 at live auctions). 20 ga and .410 bore bring a premium of about $10 to $20.

The serial number you cite is very interesting. This model would typically have a letter prefix to the serial number of 'D' for 1943 to 'T' for 1957. I've not seen one of these with a double letter prefix and 'CM' makes no sense in the conventional manner. :confused:
    Unless your gun has some uncatalogued special features or you are misreading the prefix letters (I know, this is unlikely and almost never happens;)) I have no explanation for it being there - therefore I can't really date your piece. There are two recognized variations: 1st (1943-1953) the receiver is "color case hardened" - looks like multicolor tigger stripes; and 2nd (1954-57) the receiver was blued. In either case, the catalogues only list the 16 ga chambering as 2 3/4" - so that is the ammo I'd suggest you use in your gun.
    Got a pic of the serial number, by any chance? I would love to see it and add it to my research files, if you don't mind?
  3. trailrider666

trailrider666 New Member

Could the "CM" prefix mean Canadian made? It's stamped that it was made in Long Branch, On, Canada which is an area of Toronto not too far from where we live.
  4. trailrider666

trailrider666 New Member

5. trailrider666

trailrider666 New Member

I was unable to post the pic here. Is there an e-mail I can send it to you?
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

trailrider666,
    I am sure you are correct with that Canadian designation for the 'CM'. There was a Canadian connection for H&R - but the conventional wisdom is that this was merely and "outlet" and not a manufacturing facility. I'm inclined to believe that unfinished guns were shipped (probably a custom/duty thing) and assembled in Canada from parts made in the US.
    email: bobell01@aol.com (if link doesn't work: it's 'ZERO one' not 'OH one'.
    I'd be glad to add your photos to my reference files, with your permission and will post them on this site, as well.
  7. trailrider666

trailrider666 New Member

Topper 48

Attached Files:

8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

There ya have it. As far as I can determine - H&R didn't have a "manufacturing" facility in Canada - but the "assembly" facility sure sounds to be likely, especially after viewing your firearm.
    Thanks for posting - great info.