Torn between 2 of them...

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by PapaGeno21, Jan 14, 2010.

1. PapaGeno21

PapaGeno21 New Member

Hey guys, this is going to be my first 1911..

Im torn between 2 different ones..

Kimber Custom TLE II

[​IMG]

And the Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model

[​IMG]

I like the sights of the TLE and the look of it more, but what do you guys think is the better gun? I just shoot at the range (50 Feet), no competition shooting. I think the Kimber trigger is a bit better as well. Not trying to start a Kimber vs Colt war here, but im just curious what you guys would rather have. They are both about the same price. Kimber has a massive backorder right now so I have to use (the ebay for guns that got bleeped out for some reason) to get the TLE, but the Colt I can get right from my buddy with the Gun store. Kimber comes to about 930 after transfer, shipping, and payment. The colt is about 1000 after taxes.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

If it was me I would opt for the Colt. I have an XSE Commander and it is one terrific firearm. The Kimber would also be a good one to have. Have fun deciding because in the end it will be you that has to decide.
  3. PapaGeno21

PapaGeno21 New Member

I dont like the sights on the colt, and I love the look of the Kimber more. But I have 50/50 of my friends from the gun clubs going either way on which one to get. Seems though that more are leaning twords the colt...
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The Colt will have a higher resale value and is a great pistol for a paper puncher IF you reload. The Kimber will serve you well for self defense and on the range. Two great choices but you need to decide what you will be using the pistol for.
  5. PapaGeno21

PapaGeno21 New Member

I do reload, so I will be eventually going for accuracy. I have heard things about the colts being finiky (not sure if thats a word) with ammo, and soemthing about their recoil spring made for only certain weights of bullets? Is that true, or did I misunderstand what I read?
  6. Shooter45

The Gold Cup is designed for light target loads so a lighter spring recoil is used. Change the recoil spring and shoot what you want.

The adj rear sight on the GC will let you shoot point of aim with different loads. If the Kimber had an adj rear sight, it will be as accurate as the Gold Cup with the same ammo. so it gets back to what you want from the 1911.

I'd buy them both. :D:D
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Well, in my personal opinion, I'd go for the Gold Cup. There's just something about the Colt Gold Cup. It's like owning a Ferrari. There's lots like it, but only one is the real deal. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

While I would love to have a Kimber TLE, I would give my to be the one that pulled out the fancy Gold Cup down on the range and have everyone looking over. I'd go for a stainless one though.
  8. curulz

curulz New Member

my personal preferrence is the Kimber.....there's just something about them that makes me feel like I did while climbing the rope in gym class

I was ready to buy one but didn't like the price, told the guy I was going to think about it and come back....he called my bluff. I broke down and went back the next day, already sold. So for me Kimber is the one that got away
  9. PapaGeno21

PapaGeno21 New Member

Well I put a deposit on a new Kimber Custom II, Standard sights. One of the stores got one in stock, got it for 791 after tax. Thanks for the help guys, but after holding the kimber and the colt in my hand again tonight, the Kimber takes it. Next ill get the colt!
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  10. Shooter45

You'll enjoy the Kimber and don't forget the range report.
  11. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    I am glad it is you having to choose and not me they are both fine looking handguns.
  12. Over The Hill

Over The Hill New Member

The solution to your problem is simple...buy them both!:D