Torn between the Leupold Deltapoint Reflex and Burris Fastfire II

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by The Count, Jan 3, 2011.

1. The Count

The Count New Member

Planning to put the sight on a Glock 30 SF. Is the Leupold worth the extra dough? I can get it for $390 with the mounting kit (10 different mounts incl). the Fastfire with the Glock mount kit ist about $240.00

Are all the extra mounts that come with the Leupold worth the $150 more?

What to do??????
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I don't know about the Leupold. I have a Fastfire mounted on a Ruger MKIII. Have not had problem one with the sight. The only thing I don;t like about it is when I am plinking in real shady conditions. The auto adjust on brightness causes the dot to grow in size. Now this is not a problem at say 25 yards but if you are playing around at 50 or 100 yards the dot is now too large for any sort of target shooting. Get into normal day light or even bright sun and this problem doesn't exist.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I control the dot size on my red dots by adjusting the brightness. I can usually adjust the brightness to just cover a distinguishable part of the target (I can also make my own targets with bulls of any size using my computer). But my Burris Fast Fire has auto brightness and I find it not too good for target work. It currently resides on my SIG 522 rilfe that is dedicated to killing cans and shotgun hulls in the field when shooting with the grand kids. It is excellent for that. I tried the Fast Fire on a target gun and did not like it there at all.

I know nothing of the Leopold but I personally would not buy it if it has auto brightness.

LDBennett
  4. The Count

The Count New Member

Got the Deltapoint yesterday and mounted it on a Glock 30 SF. The 30 SF has a slide the same width as the 30.... 1.27" The kit comes with a bunch of mounts and dovetails, I used dovetail mount 3A. Somewhat loose but works, I think 5A might work too, but that would be a tight fit. On top of the dovetail goes the base (part 3B). The bases are all plastic, essentially to keep the battery from touching the slide. The Glock base is actually make for models 17, 19, etc. slide width of 1.18". So you can either sandpaper down the curved sides or simply push down a on the base until the torx screws start screwing in and then just tighten well. Seems to work for me. Did some basic sighting in with a Bushnell red laser sight tool.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to loosen the 2 lock screws before adjusting windage/elevation or the sight will be damaged permanently.

This forum has a step by step guide with photos...
    https://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1293894

It appears that there is a minor parallax issue as with practically every red dot sight. Which means that if you look at the target and move your head a bit so will the red dot to some degree. I read that that effect is inherent in red dot optics and some sights are better than others. Will see how the scope performs at the range today or tomorrow. Anybody with knowledge of red dot and parallax feel free to comment...

PS i got the 7 MOA version, with a triangular reticle. You can sight it in so the triangle covers the target or the target is just above the top point.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  5. rl1965

rl1965 New Member

Greetings Count,

My first post here on The Firearms Forum. A vast amount of great information here.

I'm curious how your range time went with the Leupold. Did it work out as you had hoped? I'm looking for a good Red Dot for use with my Sig P226 .40.

Thanks in advance :)
  6. 22eley

22eley New Member

Re:COUNT ATT Torn between the Leupold Deltapoint Reflex and Burris Fastfire II

HI You said i got the 7 MOA version, with a triangular reticle. You can sight it in so the triangle covers the target or the target is just above the top point, Soooo are YOU tell us we can adjust our bullets to hit at the TOP of that triangular reticle lets say at 25 yards??. I just bought a new S&W Optic ready 41 PC. I did NOT want to spend leupold $ on that Triangle if I could not do that I would just buy the Fastfire III. I want MY standard vol 22s to hit right on TOP of that triangle? thanks LEUPOLD CS would NOT help me with this when I called them. john baer 460@roadrunner.com
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  7. 22eley

22eley New Member

I cant PM COUNT someone PLEASE PM the Above thanks john
  8. ejkoechling

ejkoechling Well-Known Member

its his thread, Hell get it.
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

He hasnt visited here since November 2012. Dont hold your breath waiting for a PM.....
  10. savage170

savage170 Member

Take a look at the Jpoint I have one on my Smith 500 and it is still living and their mounting systems are great