Toughest ATV Tires ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zhurh, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I need to get a set of after market tires for a 500 Honda 4 wheeler. I have four mud sharks (4 ply) I bought 8 years back for $800 with rims and have 9800 miles on them on an outlander 400; they ain't bald yet either, easily another few thousand miles to go. I had a few flats over the years in the sticks but nowheres comparable to what stock factory tires would have given me in all kinds of flats.

I was looking at 8 ply ITP's. They make a bunch of models but I keep hearing about the Baja Crosses. Anchorage dealer quoted me around $1000 for four with rims. Only $200 more than I paid many years back so maybe not that bad of a price?

I mostly ride in thick woods and willows, bustin through brush, making my own trail. Hate getting flats from sharp sticks, so I want tough hard rubber tires that won't puncture from sticks. Having the best tires is like having a winch working that you don't ever use. What do you all have or recommend?
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I have to ship them in, and if I remember right, my rims the last time were a little bigger when I got those mud sharks for the outlander. It's also nice to have the stock tires to use outside of hunting season which is Aug & Sept; rest of year I usually just ride the gravel road and better trails close to the house. During hunting season we ride in trails 40-50 miles and you don't want to have problems. The gravel wears the rubber down quick on expensive tires, but no joke, good aggressive tires will take you through mud that people with stock tires will be using a winch.

Most good 6 ply tires are around $600 for set of four plus rims. The ITP's (8 ply) I hear so much about are a little over $800 plus rims; but no joke, if you ever dwelt with flats out in the middle of nowheres again & again; you are ready to spend the extra $200 quick for the better tires.

Have you ever seen those evolutions? What tires do you like, had success with? Couple of the locals have after market tires but 4 & 6 ply and have had flats, weren't satisfied. I think they were swamp lites.

I'm going to look at your sites now, thanks. Here is the Mud Sharks on my outlander. I got close to 10K on them and still 1/3 inch of tread in middle of tire. They do pretty good, but they don't make them anymore and only 4 ply.
    [​IMG]
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

It's pretty much ITP territory around here for aftermarket tires.

All of our Cats (500s from the early/mid-2000s) came with ITP 489s as the stock tires.
    We've upgraded two of them to the 589 after the 489s were worn down from several years of running general farm use. They are 6-ply tires but they do have a decent carcass on them between the lugs and we haven't had any puncture problems in two years...yet. Anything from gravel roads to wooded pasture land with lots of thorn-apple and other woody shrubs that love to kill sidewalls. Not a lot of rock area but enough of those shrubs that love to poke tire carcasses.

A few of my co-workers have been mounting up the Mudlite XTRs too instead of the 589s.
    They're radials but in an aggressive chevron tread like the 589. I'm not sure what they're rated at, but I'd guess 6-ply unless you're getting into the larger UTV sizes. Radials are getting to be a big thing for aftermarket tires...but they're still pretty spendy compared to bias-plys.
    The guys I know running them are mainly trail and mud players though so I don't know for sure how they'd hold up to brush-busting like what we run on the farm. Like the other Mudlites, I'd guess they've got a pretty thin carcass and there's a lot of open space between the lugs to let branches in near the carcass.

I haven't seen any of those Blackwater Evos around here yet. It looks like a nice tire, but not much tread on the sidewall to protect the sides of the carcass.

The Terra Cross R/T XD is a nice looking tire with lots of tread wrapping around the sidewall for protection. I don't know anyone running them around here so I can't give a report on em either.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Thanks Bindernut for the info. I'm calling ITP and asking what they have to say. I don't trust any of the atv places in Anch, sell what ya got mentality. Those ITPs must be the best money can buy from what I read & hear. I need to find good hard tire with lots of big high lugs, close together and lugs on side walls to grab in those sunken in trails. I have a habit of running through blueberries up on summit then dropping off to thickets right below tree line; busting through brush and what else. Also any semi open often overgrown burns just full of sticks; where the moose & caribou hide out. I just hate sticks through tires and willing to spend whatever within reason to avoid them.

Those ITP tires are way heavier (double the money to mail in) than most so must be the best built. I usually buy my tires here in Ak so I can return if they rub or don't fit, but would like to find a place in lower 48 with better prices. Where do you all buy from mail order? Any big atv mail order places like Midway is to gun supplies?

One of the local Indians stopped by yesterday, I gave him 4 stock 25x11x12 tires, all kinds of tread, full of holes, soft rubber junk they give ya with new atv. He thought it was Christmas, only way I could have made him any happier is if I'd gave him a bottle with them, ha; (our local Indians really a good bunch). Told him I needed the rims back and he needed to buy some tubes first govt check he got, he was happy enough just the same, been riding around on bald tires for years. Laugh but us White guys could learn a little about the world if we'd pay more mind to some of them Indians.

Anyway, thanks for the input, appreciated.

Hey, thanks again.
  6. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Bindernut, I called ITP this morning, talked to tech guy. He said the 8 ply tires were more for side by sides, not atvs and that the best tire they had for puncture resistance is: 589 as it has heavier rubber; there ya go, what you said. He said nothing wrong with 6 ply and 589 would wear better. The even more aggressive tires would ride super rough and not be as good as 589. So looks like it will be 589, thanks again.