towel dryin??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1LoneWolf75, Jun 24, 2012.

1. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Member

I use a cloths line to dry my cloths but my towels are board stiff when done. Does anyone know how to line dry em where they are soft? We have used fabric softener but that isn't helpin.
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Got wind? :D
    Seriously...you need the flapping action to limber up the fibers. Otherwise they just hang there and dry like a bunch of hay.
    If your clothesline is in the shade, that'll help too. Things dry slower if they're not out in the sun and will give em more time to flap around in the breeze. Not to mention things don't sunfade as quickly too.
    Even if you're not using the heat on a regular tumble dryer, throw the stuff in and let em tumble for a few minutes to do the same thing.

I still prefer hanging stuff out on the clothesline over using the dryer. It just smells so much nicer off the line, especially when the alfalfa and clover is blooming. I just can't find a dryer sheet that smells like that!
  3. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

If you get some of the dryer balls and toss about four of them in the dryer with the towels after they dry on the line, tumble them with no heat for about ten minutes. We quit using fabric softener a few years ago, just use the balls. Also, pour 1/4 cup of white vinegar into the final rinse cycle helps a lot.
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I had to line dry (inside, it was well below zero outside) in Moscow and never had a problem. I wonder if interior made a difference?

Also move them around a bit/rotate them as the dry so they don't dry the entire time in one static position. I did that to avoid that harsh crease in my teaching clothes.
  5. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Member

Yep live in Kansas wind aplenty:D Yep definitely smells better and them dang dryer sheets make me itch:mad:
  6. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Member

Will try thank you:)
  7. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

You might want to ask 76Highboy what his secret is.
  8. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

I think it's an ancient secret, Chinese as well would be my guess.

have you considered learning to like the towels that way? seriously, I like them stiff and crisp.
  9. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think that everything comes out of the washer stiff. It takes the pummeling of the drier to soften things up.
  10. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i love a stiff towell.

if you have a dryer.. tumble them after line drying. the movement will soften them and not use much power if you keep the heat off and just set to tumble..