Tower pistol

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

obelix2
    (5/12/01 7:24:38 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Tower pistol
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently bought (at an auction populated by actual people) a British flintlock pistol, in pretty nice shape. It's 15" long, about .58 calibre, flintlock, smoothbore. No markings except TOWER and a GR under a crown on the lockplate.

Now I know that Tower indicates pre-Enfield British military manufacture, but the Brits were inconsiderate enough to run four Georges in a row, narrowing down the date to a century and a quarter. My guess would be late-18th-century through Napoleonic, but it's a guess.

Does anybody know enough about these things to warrant a more detailed description?

If asked why I would buy something I knew so little about, I can only use Steve McQueen's reply from The Magnificent Seven: It seemed like a good idea at the time.

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/12/01 8:23:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Tower pistol
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Try and catch Tye - he's in to flintlocks a lot (though admittedly more the mountain man thing).

Possibly AntiqueDr - especially if you take a picture of the weapon and post it - in fact that might be what it takes to get an answer anyway.

Good luck - and there is nothing wrong with buying something you know little about - how do you think I ended up with my Mauser or Enfield?

Bob In St Louis
    (5/12/01 8:52:12 am)
    You already know the extent of what I know on British black powder - the military proofed ones are marked "Tower". Definately we need to track down Tye - or maybe AntiqueDr may know.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

AntiqueDr
    (5/12/01 3:30:23 pm)
    I'm afraid I'm a little soft on the British stuff. American, no problem... I will see what I can dig up for you, though.

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

obelix2
    (5/12/01 3:41:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del thanks
    Unfortunately, I'm operating on a late stone-age system and have no way to post a picture.

TallTLynn
    (5/12/01 3:50:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: thanks
    obelix - can you e-mail the picture?

TYRVR
    (5/12/01 4:11:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: thanks
    Should be some markings on the Bbl. (Proofs and such) and there may be A makers name, under the lockplate, You say .58 Cal. this makes Me think it may be A Martial lock on A Civilian Pistol, especially if there are no proofs or unit markings on the weapon, more info is needed to make A determination,

obelix2
    (5/12/01 8:05:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Rappunzel
    The only markings I can see on the barrel (besides my thumbprints) are six parallel striations at the base. I don't trust myself to try to take anything off to look, or even mess with the screws. .58 calibre is just an estimate done with a ruler.

It looks quite a bit like the pistol running now as AA #1333140, but much longer. Also (comparing it to that one, which has a picture), it has no ramrod hinge, and the grip angle is much straighter (maybe 45 degrees off the lock). Also, the brass buttplate isn't flat but rounded, held on with a brass screw. It rises into the grip in a rounded triangle, about 1" from base to top. The muzzle extends an inch out from a flat stockend. The nailhead ramrod comes almost even with the muzzle.

Oh, I almost forgot -- there's script on the wood of the grip. Looks like: "th-s be--ongs to Ar--ur W--lsley".

That last sentence is a lie. I just can't help myself. Thanks to all for a lot of trouble.