1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

toy or not?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gmoody, Apr 14, 2011.

1. gmoody

gmoody New Member

Can anyone tell me what I have? It was in a box of WWII relics brought here from Germany. The inside diameter of the barrel is 9/16" . The hammer spring is quite strong and pushes a centerfire pin.

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It's an 11mm German "Scheintod" pistol, which was advertised in the 1911 ALFA catalog as a "non-killing defensive arm" that "produces a dazzling light and renders an assailant helpless"

I believe there were also gas shells made for them
  3. gmoody

gmoody New Member

Thanks a lot. Buzz
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I thought it might be home made, but reading hrf's post, I checked that catalog. I don't think it is a Scheintot pistol, as those were usually better made. I think it is a cork gun (pop gun) like those on pages 204-205. The determinant would be the size of the chamber (not the barrel at the muzzle). If about .32, it would be a cork gun; if about .44, it would be a Scheintot pistol.

Jim
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  5. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

hrf nailed it--go to Google Images and search for "Scheintod pistol."
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It's not homemade, they were common in 20th century Germany, and used a variety of light, pepper, and gas shells.

Google Scheintod or Scheintot to see various examples.

A word of warning that I hope is not needed: They were not intended for use with any ball or shot cartridges, but will nicely chamber a .44 Magnum round!!