toy or not?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gmoody, Apr 14, 2011.

1. gmoody

gmoody New Member

Can anyone tell me what I have? It was in a box of WWII relics brought here from Germany. The inside diameter of the barrel is 9/16" . The hammer spring is quite strong and pushes a centerfire pin.

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It's an 11mm German "Scheintod" pistol, which was advertised in the 1911 ALFA catalog as a "non-killing defensive arm" that "produces a dazzling light and renders an assailant helpless"

I believe there were also gas shells made for them
  3. gmoody

gmoody New Member

Thanks a lot. Buzz
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I thought it might be home made, but reading hrf's post, I checked that catalog. I don't think it is a Scheintot pistol, as those were usually better made. I think it is a cork gun (pop gun) like those on pages 204-205. The determinant would be the size of the chamber (not the barrel at the muzzle). If about .32, it would be a cork gun; if about .44, it would be a Scheintot pistol.

Jim
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  5. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

hrf nailed it--go to Google Images and search for "Scheintod pistol."
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It's not homemade, they were common in 20th century Germany, and used a variety of light, pepper, and gas shells.

Google Scheintod or Scheintot to see various examples.

A word of warning that I hope is not needed: They were not intended for use with any ball or shot cartridges, but will nicely chamber a .44 Magnum round!!