Tracing Colt 45

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Squiz, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Squiz

Squiz New Member

Hi All,

A close friend of mine has been left a Colt 45 Service pistol by her Great Grandfather.
    He was an Australian Soldier that was given the pistol as a gift during the war. (So the story goes anyway)
    This one is truely in amazing condition. 100% of blue remaining. Not a single mark on the gun. I'm not convinced that it has fired more than about 10 rounds. It's been sitting in a box since he returned from the war.
    My question regards tracing it's history. I am trying to get some photo's of it for you all because it looks like it was made yesterday.
    It has the "Property of US Army" stamp on it and has "1164689 Hartford CT USA"
    I've never had much to do with Pistols hence I'm asking the questions here - Please excuse me if it's of no interest... Any ideas where I can look to find out a bit about it for her?
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum can u post picture
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Need to know what model it is.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

1911 1164689 was made by Colt in 1943, so it would be an A1. The revolver's numbers didn't go that high, so it's got to be an auto.

Only other possibilities, with it being marked Hartford, would be either a 32 or 380 General Officer's pistol, and their numbers don't go that high either.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The caliber is known in the civilian world as .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol). It is a U.S. service pistol, Model 1911A1. As Alpo says, it was made be Colt of Hartford, Connecticut, in 1943.

Better check the laws where you live, though. I understand Australian laws are very strict, and the authorities are merciless when it comes to illegal guns.

Jim
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

If the gun is original it will be worth quite a bit. Please post pics. We would love to see it! The more the better! Oh and welcome to the forum.