Traded the 500SW for this....

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by woolleyworm, Jul 4, 2011.

1. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Browning A-Bolt II w/ BOSS in 7mm-08. Had 10 rounds fired from it before myself and Josh put 16 rounds through it on Sat. ( 170 rnds of ammo with it in the trade also) The scope is going to get replaced in the near future, but it's ok for now, a Tasco EuroClass. (which is about the only decent scope that Tasco makes IMO)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Sweet deal!
    Thanks for the pic :)
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i dont mean to offend,but did you get a bunch of cash also?i sold the same gun a year or two ago and was lucky to get 450.00 for it. old semperfi
  4. woolleyworm

I have seen a few of the A-bolts without the BOSS go in the $500 range, but not the II's with BOSS. I made out ok though, I got the 500 on a good deal and had my fun with it.

btw - not much offends me besides old Navy stories and liberal pansy asses...... :eek::eek:

Semper Fi !
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That one is a sweet shooter. It was averaging around 1.5 MOA on a 110 degree day without adjusting the BOSS or the scope or shooting off a decent solid rest. And we were using rem corelokt factory fodder..

I think ya did good worm..

The 500s aint sellin for what they used to and resale is even worse. The A bolt IIs in popular chamberings seem to go for about 750 average used, and Id consider yours barely used, add to that the scope (even the Tasco euroClass runs about 100 bucks used) and the mounts. Yours looked like Millett steel mounts and rings (about 45 bucks for the set). Not to mention your is chambered in any LR hunters dream caliber the 7mm-08 rem. Which is a ballistically superior upgrade to the .308 in that it is every bit as powerful and has a flatter trajectory than the .308 win with about the same amount of recoil. And were still not even counting the ammo, which is over 30 bucks a box now. and you can only seem to find 7-08 rem at big outlets like academy, bass pro and cabelas.

Plus this one, can easily drop deer out to 800 yds set up the way it is so long as you do your part. Id love to seesomeone drop a deer at 300 with a 500 smith.. Like you said, you had your fun with that mancannon, and I think you came out fantastic on the trade..
  6. woolleyworm

I've gotta get used to it and then start working up some loads; the groups will get MUCH better. I'm still not getting a comfortable eye relief / cheek weld with the scope yet, I may swap the scope sooner than I had planned.

My neck die showed up and now I've just got to get the FL set. I've already got the conversion kit for the press.

Can't wait to get back out and work with it some more.
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Those are sweet guns. I'm not going to agree that it was exactly a fair trade but if your happy, thats what matters.
  8. dragman

dragman New Member

I think you took a beating in a way. the ammo 170 rounds is all that made it close. 7mm-08 ammo is usually $25-35 a box so that helped but that gun on my shelf is a $599 gun at best and used 500's at the bottom end demand $899. I have sold both and owned both in the last year so I am pretty up on what is going on. Now if it was a white gold medalion A bolt It would have been a good trade.
  9. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Hey woolleyworm, I came across this post from before I was here, I'm sure you already know this but just trying to help, you DO know that you dont have to "work up a load" for a BOSS equipped rifle right? it's really as simple as selecting your preferred bullet weight/speed, start the BOSS out at the Browning suggested starting point, and adjusting the BOSS in 1/10th (1 tenth) increments, or even 1/20th increments when you get close to your desired group,

I'm pretty sure you know this, but again, just trying to help, I have a BOSS on a BAR Safari II, in Rem 7 Mag, I am truly amazed at how well it works, in this case, for the Federal ammo I was shooting, the BOSS starting recomendation was 2.0, I wound up at 2.25 in pretty short order,

I'm also somewhat surprised at the lack of use of this type of device, whether it's the Browning BOSS, or some other maker's version, I mean, you see combination compensators/barrel weights on some competition target guns, it just plain works,

I will admit that I have an issue with mine though, since its also a muzzle brake, the report is absolutely freaking hideous, if you are shooting at the range, I have to use 2 sets of ear protection, plugs and over the ear, just the roof/sunshade is enough to make it even worse,

The report is so bad that it occassionally gives me and flinching problem, not from the recoil, but from the report,

When I start reloading for this gun I am going to get the different BOSS, the "CR" (conventional recoil), it's simply the adjustable weighting system, WITHOUT the porting of the muzzle brake, I think I would rather have more recoil and less of a report, we'll see how that works out, it's nice to have a 7 Mag's recoil reduced by 45%, but the report is just so bad,

If you did not get the BOSS guide/manual from the previous owner let me know, I have a link so you can see it online, and print if needed, it's mainly just about BOSS adjusting and a list of preffered starting points for specific calibers and bullet weights,

There is also a pretty good video that gives a quick abc,123, rundown on how to use it,

If you need any of this just let me know and I'll post up the info, if you are good to go then thats OK too,

I really like mine and am always impressed with how it works and makes the gun react,
  10. H-D

H-D Active Member

that's exactly how it works the CR is nowhere near as loud but it has normal recoil my dad's abolt 2 has the BOSS system and mine doesn't they are both accurate I like the BOSS but I got my ABOLT 2 for 500 bucks like new in box first 3 shots with some bullets my buddy had got in a trade with someone were touching at 135 yards , they are great rifles I rarely hunt with anything else anymore