Trading a WW2 CZ 27 for a Ruger Flatgate

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by davidh5000, Dec 10, 2010.

1. davidh5000

davidh5000 New Member

I have the chance to trade a phosphate finished CZ 27 for a Ruger Single Six Flatgate and would like an opinion before I make the trade.
    The CZ 27 is in excellent condition with at least 95% of the phosphate finish and the same amount of straw coloring on the trigger and hammer. The grips are also unchipped and no cracks.
    The flatgate is in likewise condition. Its also in excellent condition with at least the same 95% blueing there is no dragline on the cylindar nor any holster wear. Judging by the serial number ( 65xx ) its a first year production gun. It doesn't have the original grips, however. It has a pair of old fake stag ( I think they were called Franzite ) un it at this time. I would love to post pics but we can't find the camera after we moved:mad: so I've given the best description I can.

So what do you guys think yea or nay.
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

if it was me i'd trade in a heartbeat
  3. davidh5000

davidh5000 New Member

The more I think about it the more I believe I will. Other than my Lugers I've gotten rid of most of my Nazi stuff now and I would like to have a nice old 22 for plinking around with, and this one definately fills the bill.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

though the prices of the cz's are all over the map depending on condition of course. it's about a wash price wise. but i happen to think you'd get more use out of the ruger. as fine a handgun that the cz's ( both old and new ) are, the ruger has gained attention as a collectable and is going up in value .
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, in a skinny second.

Franzite grips have gotten to be collectible, in their own right. Didn't know they did stag, though, just ivory. The fake stag grips on my flatgate are Jay Scott.
  6. davidh5000

davidh5000 New Member

I was thinking that they are worth roughly thr same price ($350-$400) it is a very nice CZ but its an equally nice Flatgate and I know I will definately get more use from the Ruger (which is unconverted by the way)

Yes they did make Franzites in stag, I do recall seeing them at gunshows. I'm sure if I make the trade I'll be looking for the old original black grips to put back on it.
  7. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

flat gates are increasingly rare in great condition. trade now!!!
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It's possible that the grips for the New Vaquero will fit. The original grip frame, for both the single six and the blackhawk was the XR3. Then they modified it, and it became the XR3-RED. My understanding is the New Vaquero frame has gone back to the XR3 (which feels more like a Colt), and the New Vaquero comes with black plastic grips. 'Course, the correct grips are gutta percha, not plastic, but hey, at least they'd look right.
  9. Danjet500

Danjet500 Member

Make the trade and post some pics. The gun was made in the 2nd year of production, 1954. Only 90 made the first year.
  10. davidh5000

davidh5000 New Member

I went ahead and made the trade. I couldn't be happier. It makes me wonder why I didn't grab it upearlier!:confused: