Traditional or inline

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Johnny Reb, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb New Member

Hey Everyone first time here, looks like a great forum. I'm lookin forward to sharing, learning and meeting new friends here. I was just wondering what Muzzleloaders you all like to shoot. for me I like Traditional. I own 2 T/C Hawkens and 1 T/C Renegade. What do you Guys Have? :D
  2. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Welcome JohnnyReb!
    I shoot a Fayetteville .58 (repro), Smith Carbine .52 (original), and .44 Remington (repro).
  3. newbee

newbee New Member

Welcome JonnyReb!!
    I myself am very new to ML's, but have shot modern fixed cart rifles and pistols. I choose a CVA wolf Magnum Break action in-line. I had tought about ML's for a long time. But I did not like the traditional designs. I like the fact that there is a real recoil pad, and the easier cleaning offered by a break action in-line
  4. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    welcome aboard. I personally shoot mostly flint lock BP guns but do own all types including a couple of modern in-lines. Now I rather shoot flinters in part due to the fact I do Rev War re-enactmenst but there is nothing like taking game in the field with an old style flint long rifle or full stock fowler.
  5. sandhillmike

sandhillmike New Member

T/C Hawken .50
    CVA Wolf .50
    Knight Revolution .50
    Pietta 1858 New Army .44 Revolver
  6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I have a .40 cal Pennsylvania Long Rifle. Custom made by Pennsylvania Long Rifle Inc. Chery wood stock with real brass inserts. Cap and ball configuation. I also have two hand made flint lock pistols that are period correct one in .54 and the other in .56. These also are hand made and extreamly hard to hang on to when fired. Only fired each just a handful of times. The pistols were purchased from a gunsmith at the Ohio Renaissance Festival in Waynesville Ohio several years ago.
  7. newbee

newbee New Member

As you can see asking a question like that is like asking people what kind of cars they like. There are all sorts of reasons from the tradition to modern practicaly.

Myself in cars I am rather partial to the old Rambers/AMC's, I still have to laugh when the Georgia highway Patrol bought a bunch of AMC Javlins with 401 V8's in em. Not one trooper ever reported being out run by a suspect when drivin one.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  8. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

it really depends on the mood im in and weather conditions.. personally i favor my CVA Eclipse Hunter in-line w/ scope. i shoot hogdon triple seven pellets in it using a 209 primer... but i also like the hawkins .54 cal a friend of mine has. man is that thing a beast.:D:p

i wouldnt mind havin my own hawkins or a CVA wolf though...
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  9. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

T/C Renegade .54 I had a Weaver base installed and put on a red dot sight as the eyes don't do so well with the iron and the non-magnified red dot works well in my thick woods.
  10. Vasily Zaytsev

Vasily Zaytsev New Member

Im glad you asked Sir.

I am a pure traditionist.

After playing with a few production guns over the years. I never found one that was worth a darn.

I only shoot one rifle, It does everything I need it to. I can ring the 100 yard gong, or bring home the meat.

I got it the old fashion way, I made it

Its not rocket science, and I have not found one person that could not do it.

There are very few production pieces that come anywhere close to a hand made one.

For $700ish you can get a Jim Chambers kit, and have a superior firearm.

If you want to pay a few 100 bcuks, and put up with misfires, breakage, and poor quality assembly, then knock yourself out.

Id rather be shooting.

To answer your question: 45 cal, rice 42in barrel, Crocket set triggers, Chambers Lock, modified by Mr Rice. A hunk of TN black walnut, and all rusted iron hardware.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  11. newbee

newbee New Member

Now there is another question you also have to ask. That is what you want to use it for. Then what is legal in your state, for example hunting. I colorado I can use only open sights in ML season and no battery powered device cna be used including sights and ignition. But during rifle season I can stil use a ML with a red dot sight.
  12. ballcap

ballcap New Member

welcome Johnny Reb I've been shooting BP for 40 years and always stuck to the tradional methods, I believe most shooters have lost the spirit of black powder shooting
    think back to the days of the frontiersman who rarely shot a dear beyond 50 yards.
    one thing is powder was not easy to purchase in those days therefore did not use more than they had to ...min. charges to do the job. I believe we are getting off track today
    with these modern guns and not holding on to the spirit of BP shooting.
    Ballcap