The Firearms Forum banner

Trail camera Fawn..

6K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  Zane71464 
#1 ·
My trail cam has been on vaction for a while and with the drought conditions we've been haveing in this area, I found an old pond back in the middle of no-where and thought I'd set the cam up. (even the small pond is all but dried up)
But anyways, out of all my TC pics, this is the VERY first fawn with it spots still on that I've cuaght on my trail camera....dont know why, but I've had the TC for a few years and in different places, just never caught a fawn on it til now! lol

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Yeap, it's an older Bushnell, 5 mega pix with 45 IR led's. 45 degree angle view...
I'm suprised it's still "kicki'n" with over 10,000 pics taken with it. Runs with 4 "D" size batteries. Night vision with the IR distance is about 40 feet.
When I bought it (few years back) they ran about $150, but now you can get better ones for less!

#8 ·
I'd been, while out coyote hunting, noticeing that while the water was still in the pond on hot dayy and evenings, that the deer where actually lying in the edge of it.
Went down and looked and coyote tracks all around in. (when the water was in it)

We had a bad sorm here a couple of weeks ago and the electric was off for right at, 3 days. Me with no generator was about to go "wackco" with the heat in the house at night, about 88* nearly most of the night.
So, I feel asleep one evening, (no electricity) I had to get OUT! I jumped on the 4 wheeler and thought I'd go back and cool down and watch the moon and just kick back a bit and try and get cooled down.
Where I was at, I could here generators running for miles around the hill top.
All I took with me was a few sodas, ciggs and my pistol.

At about 2am I was near this pond. (got somewhat of a 4wheeler trail near it)
Was bored and gave out a "howl" to see if any critters might be stirring. At what seemed to be 500+ yards away, I heard a deep-down bark.

Didnt pay much attention to it til about 5 mins later I heard a "growl" behind me!
Hit my flash light and there stood 6 coyotes 20 yards or so behind me.....and I can tell you this, they wasnt there to greet me, they was sneaking up ON me!
Only think I could think of was to grab my 9mm and yell out, "get out of here" and took a shot at the bigger one....I bit concerend and they didnt "disperse" as normal!
Fired one round and came back to the house to bet the proper "firepower" and hunted til day break.

I figured that this pond was a watering hole for the "beasts" and thought I might get a pic or two of them. 2 days with the camera and no "beast" pics. lol

#11 ·
oh man, there was about 6 stems of switch grass, out about 5 ft, and when it would wave, then the camera would go off. that was a download and a half. Then I moved the cam to a different location and put it on a tree about 6" in diameter,,,the wind came up and I got another 1000 pics of the moving ground. But that time I did get a **** and a small buck.

#12 · (Edited)
The Coyote is a wily guy. The ranchers say that they have raised hell with live stock. This may be true to a point cause they do take advantage of an easy meal of smaller animals. I have kicked around the brush of Washington, Wyoming, Utah and Nevada and never had one attack me. Sure they would come down to my camp and check me out and try to get a handout if I didn't scare them. I have some pictures that I have taken of our number one resource... the Critters that I hope to show my great Grandchildren of what used to be out on the range. I was always impressed by Wyoming and the amount of wildlife that was there and how they didn't make it a money scam to eradicate them. Now, it's the wild horses and burros that are out here in Nevada. They ain't bothering anyone and if some rancher feels that they will eat a little grass...so what! They were there first.

Anyone have any pictures of the Mustangs, Burros, or Coyotes?

#13 ·
Rhuga;964338 said:
When was the last time anyone has heard of a Coyote actually attacking a human? I never have. I have kicked around the brush of Wyoming, Washington, Utah and Nevada without a scratch from a Coyote. Yes, they would get curious and come down to my camp and check me out. But, never attack. When I worked at Hoover Dam we would feed them bread and they would come up to about 5 feet to us and were fun to watch.

The humane response is, "when you are afraid of something or do not understand it...try to kill it".

P.S. I am not an anti-hunter.
Sometime back, and havent got the link but a woman in Canada was walking on a trail in a park of sorts (heard this on the news) by herslf as she did many times. They said that 2 coyotes killed her. I've seen a few down this way that while out calling them in and after they made me out, they wernt in no hurry to go about their buisness.
A neighbor of mine a while back had SEVERAL sheep killed by a pack of coyotes. Alot of the neighbors pet cats have come up missing as well.
My moms little/small dog 'bought got ate by one if we hadnt have been there to stop it.
IMO, the only good Coyote, is a DEAD coyote. They make fine furs as well!;)

#14 · (Edited)
Good Post Zane, Yep, when I worked at a local Golf Course. If it was dry the Coyotes would come into town looking for easy picken's. Mostly, they would get into the garbage containers. I have seen them kill and eat some house cats that were out roaming the Golf Course. but, mostly they were after the Jack Rabbits that was also there. If you have small animals keep them in the house during the summer here, especially at night.

#16 ·
Thanks Highboy. It's just odd to me, that out of all the thousands of TC pics I have, this is the 1st fawn over the years. Ive had the TC set up in alot of places and have seen others that have plenty of fawns on thiers just never got one on mine, for whatever reason...? :banghead::dontknow: :confused:

#19 · (Edited)
We do have a lot of Wild Turkey in the area but never set up to get pics of them.
I did get one at a feeder I had set up (deer feeder) and it was a not so good pic.
The way the morning sun was hitting the Turkey and the "glare", I had to look really hard
to see it after uploading it to the pc.
(the sun was coming up and directly faceing the TC.)

#21 ·
AWWWWW!!! Great pic Zane. My dad has a friend who put one up on his place and fer every pic of "wild animals he gets he gets 10 or more of cattle. When he first put it up they'd never seen one and he got a pic of one lickin it.

#22 ·
Anyone have any pictures of the Mustangs, Burros, or Coyotes?
I recently got this picture of a black coyote.

And here is another coyote.

#23 ·
#24 ·
I got this picture of a nursing fawn.

#25 ·
Awesome pics Win73!!! I do like that black coyote pic.

For whatever reason, right after I got that pic of the fawn, (which is the first since 2009)
I've been haveing a doe and her two fawns coming up to my feeder. I've got alot on TC, just seems the fawns have been shying away, for whatever reason.
I do have some TC pics of coyotes, but at a bait/hunt area....and I've found, coyotes are cannibalistic.

#26 ·
Never know what you are gonna get on trail cameras. I put mine out a couple weeks ago. All I have gotten were a few does, a spike and a 4 point(one with 3 and a nub on the other side, so he's goin down....) They are logging my buddies place across the road, so I think they have the deer pushed out. Last year I saw 6 bucks in a line with an 8,10, two 6's, 4 point and a spike I think. I shot the 10 but he got away. I've got new braodheads coming if he made it though....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.