The Firearms Forum banner

Trail cameras

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  AL MOUNT 
#1 ·
Hey can anyone give me some information on which trail cameras work the best. I have never used one but know that some are pretty slow to trigger. Thanks for any help. catfish

#2 ·
This might seem a little weird Cat, but you might see what Autumn Williams recommends/uses. She is a Bigfoot hunter/researcher in Oregon. Over on the left side of her website she has products. (snapshot sniper?) Those Bigfoot hunters use some pretty good up-to date products. Weather you believe in the creature or not, I think the products they use for their hunting/searching are probably pretty good. http://oregonbigfoot.com I have always wanted to set some trail cameras up in the woods, not just for deer but to see what all goes on out their at night.:)

#4 · (Edited)
i've been looking and thinking about one for a while,so i took the plunge and ordered this one from cabela,s a couple of weeks ago,should be here soon,it has got some good reviews,they say the trigger is pretty quick on this one,,,http://http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0046593418048a&navCount=5&podId=0046593&parentId=cat20098&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602025-cat20098&catalogCode=QW&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20098&hasJS=true,,,if this link isn't working it's the bushnell trail sentry digital scouting camera,,$99.99

#5 ·
Hey Rab, Thanks for the info, let me know how you like it ,if you don't mind. I am going to use one or two just to catch trespassers on film. The other ones will be strictly for game watching. catfish

#6 ·
The Bushnell my wife happened to buy is only good for VGA resolution, but it works OK so far. It has only been able to catch our cars going up and down the driveway as of yet when it was aimed too close to the driveway. The one area where I see deer all the time hasn't managed to yield a picture, but I think it's because the neighbors have been making all kinds of noise landscaping their yard... Maybe when things settle down a bit, they'll start traveling through the property again and I'll post some pictures...

#7 ·
BTW, on the Bushnell quality... One camera was DOA and I had to return it to the local sporting goods store. The second looks like the top latch is cracked and may fail soon... Maybe they've corrected this with later models?

#8 · (Edited)
Here ya go Catfish. This is a pic from a Bushnell. I wish I could say that it was a perfect camera, because I don't believe that it is but for the price it's OK...

This picture was taken about halfway up our driveway near a deer trail that passes over a patch of clover that the deer frequent. Funny thing is, I saw two huge doe tonight get spooked as we were coming up the driveway; they were standing in front of the camera and it didn't capture them. The batteries may be running low though, because when I opened the camera I believe that it had turned off automatically...

(Added some more pictures...)

#10 ·
I appreciate the help here. I am going to build a feed plot this summer (as if I really need another one) and hope to set a camera or two on it. I am also going to set a camera on my bear feeding station. I would call it a bait station but I don't normally shoot anything off it. Thanks again. I need to get off my butt and get some of this years pictures posted on here. I have been pretty busy with honey doo's this entire summer. Thanks again. :D Hey Durk, although I do not personally believe in bigfoot I can say for sure there are individuals who are adamant about its existence. Thanks for you input. catfish

#12 · (Edited)
Catfish
Me and the guys I hunt with all have moltree. We did have problems with one of the cameras taking pictures every minute no matter what kind of delay was set called moltree and was told to send it back to them for repair / replacement. another thing is the cameras we have that use " D" cell always seem to get more battery life than the 6 volt

#13 ·
Much as I'd love to help ya my friend.

I don't know squat about this perticular type of photography.

Sounds like a bunch of others do , so good luck. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.