Transporting rifle across state lines?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Disgruntled, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Disgruntled

Disgruntled New Member

This is my 1st time on Firearms forum. I'm not even sure I'm posting in the right place. I have a .22 LR in WV but I now live in GA. I want to get the rifle down here legally. Can I legally bring it down in my trunk locked and unloaded. I dont want to risk having it confiscated by some LEA. My grandfather gave it to me a few years be fore he died.The laws are confusing to me, and I have got conflicting info on shipping it . The local gun dealers say that it has to be shipped from a FFL to a FFL. But FEDEX tell me that only one party has to be a FFL. Either way ita alot of $$$$.
  2. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I would break it down and keep the bolt or firing mechanism in a different spot than the rest of the rifle.
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum

Put it in the trunk in a case and go.
  4. Dis, I think you will find out all you need to know on this website:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=59

You are right to be cautious, mostly because state laws vary so much. The problem is most acute with dealing with handguns, but fortunately, you are dealing with a rifle in this case.
  5. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The Firearm Owners' Protection Act (FOPA), Pub. L. No. 99-308, 100 Stat. 449 (May 19, 1986), codified at 18 U.S.C. ยง 921 et seq., is a United States federal law that revised many statutes in the Gun Control Act of 1968.

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one state to another for a shooting sports event or any other lawful activity cannot be arrested for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas) and the firearms and ammunition are securely locked, unloaded, and not immediately accessible.

An example of this would be that someone driving from Virginia to a competition in Vermont with a locked hard case containing an unloaded handgun and a box of ammunition in the trunk could not be prosecuted in New Jersey or New York City for illegal possession of a handgun provided that he did not stop in New Jersey or New York for an extended period of time.

With these considerations in mind, it is advisable for travelers with firearms to maintain a low profile while passing through any such states that have severe restrictions on gun ownership.

This law is based on the doctrine of legal preemption in that people traveling between states fall under the jurisdiction of federal law which overrides state l