1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

TranterUK and others who's countrys have National Health care, how do yoy like it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 17thfabn, Aug 10, 2009.

1. 17thfabn

17thfabn New Member

I know Tranter UK being from the UK has national health care. I know we have a couple of other's from countries with national or government run health care, such as Canada.

Those of you who have government health care how do you like it?
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Re: TranterUK and others who's countrys have National Health care, how do yoy like it

If you have been in the country for a long time it works,you have all your doctor in place and they know you.If you have just come to Canada itcan take a while to find a doctor as alot of them went south for big money.On the plus side ya don't have to pay big prem's for insurance the down side is higher taxes.the system has both pro and cons
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Re: TranterUK and others who's countrys have National Health care, how do yoy like it

The fact is it works really well here. Lets keep in mind we all pay for it in our taxes, nothing is free. We have a local surgery with doctors. If I telephone at 08.30 I can mostly get to see a doc same day. If further treatment is needed, you get it. Last month I went after feeling unwell. Doc suspected mild stroke, within the hour I was in the stroke unit of the hospital. My daughter a year ago, suspected appendicitis. Into hospital, appendix out, couple of days later, home. No charge whatsoever for any of the above. Meds? Prescriptions for under 18s, free. Adults, a charge but very low, subsidised. My steroid course, about $10.00.
    Does it work? Really well. Is it perfect? Heck no. Would it work in the US? I have no idea, but doubt it the way Barry sees it.
  4. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

They wanted to go to a 2 teir system here but everybody had a s##t fit,the rich get the best health care with a 2 teir system,and that is what you have in the states
  5. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

My kid's married to an Aussie, they moved there after the wedding. Then she got pregnant. Since she's not a citizen, she couldn't get good health care, had to go to the Aboriginal clinics which apparently aren't as good. She came back.
    That's the long story made short.
  6. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

the UK system works well---for Tranter. didnt I just see a poll taken in the UK that showed eight percent----8%---
    of the people were satisfied. sounds to me like 92% did not like it---:cool:
  7. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I don't particularly like our health care system (USA) as it stands, now. LOL!
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Sorry but that poll is nonsense, inaccurate and misleading. I am here on the ground and can assure you they have it back to front. I would say 10% are not satisfied, and they are the few who do fall between the cracks. Its not perfect, thats true. One problem is what we call the postcode (zip code) lottery. In short treatment can be quicker in some areas and slower in others.

Overall it works well, with those who need treatment getting it. I know many from other countries who live here and are amazed at how good healthcare is in the UK.

I would be interested in Charlies view, he lives in a very different area of our country to me.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
  9. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ

OK Tranter,
    I think it's fantastic too. You could have a accident, get flown to hospital by air ambulance, get totally rebuilt, paid while your not working, and no bills.
    Is it perfect...."No", but us Brit's must have something to moan about :D
    And the Leaches are superb.;);):eek::eek::D:D

Attached Files:

10. noslolo

noslolo New Member

I was born in Canada and now live in the US. I have had my problems with the US health care, but when my son was born, my jobs insurance covered 100%. The bill would have cost us over $40,000. My Dad still lives in Canada and is a goverment employee. He went in for heart surgery and they found out that he had another major blockage (over 75% blocked). They closed him up and told him to get back in the waiting line. His mother in law waited over a year for her hip surgery. That meant that she was stuck in a bed for all of that time. The medical issues from that were extreme. Thanks but no thanks, I will stick with what I have. The price of a new health care system and the debt that we are already in, is going to sink us.
  11. 17thfabn

17thfabn New Member

Charlie, I'm sure you know that leaches have made a big come back in medicine.

Maggots are also very popular. They were one of the best anti-biotics for wounds in the old days. You bikers that do the dismounted slide at 60 mph and get road rash may end up in the burn ward. In the summer, there are often more bikers in the burn ward than true burns. I guess "burn ward" helps get funding, but the burn wards do all sorts of reconstructive plastic surgery since the techniques are the same. Often maggots are packed in wounds since they will eat only dead skin, debreading the wounds. Of course I'm sure "medical grade" maggots are more expensive than those you find in the garbage.

My brother has lived in England for about 16 years and he likes the medical care. He has no medical problems, and no kids. But he works as a chaplin in a hospital so he is around the system.