Trap and skeet?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Jackman, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

I am looking at a Fox B 12 gauge side by side nice shape and two triggers, 500 dollars, also looking at a new Mossberg Silver reserve 12 gauge O/U with a single trigger question is when shooting trap and skeet wouldn't two triggers be an advantage over a single trigger with a barrel selector?
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    No! I shoot with a Browning Citori which has the single trigger. A double trigger is IMHO slower for trap or skeet but that is IMHO. I believe you will like the Mossberg a LOT better over the Fox model B. I have aFox in 16 ga and would not even think of usinmg it for trap especially doubles or skeet but that is me.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id rather have the SST in a well balanced O/U. But I also favor SXS shotguns so its really a tough choice for me.
  4. Jackman

Jackman New Member

I was just thinking double trigger is pull pull, single pull flip switch pull , hard choice here the Fox B is nice :) the Mossberg also nice and pretty too:cool: just wish the Mossberg was a double trigger.
  5. Jackman

Jackman New Member

JLA whats SST?
  6. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Answer, Absolutely NOT!!

You are concentrating on the bird, keeping your head on the stock and do not want any further distractions such as searching for a second trigger.

Yes, I have some experience with both the SXS and the OU and semi auto and pump guns and shooting them at clays.
    Even won a round or two in the past.

UF
  7. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

typically the barrel selector is simply a way to select which barrel fires first, no need to do anything but pull the trigger again for the second shot. If you have, for instance, an IC choke on top, and Skeet on the bottom, at skeet you might want to use the IC barrel for your first shot and the more open choke-Skeet, for the second shot-bird is coming to you. You probably wouldn't be using a skeet gun for trap, typically, as trap guns are usually choke much tighter than skeet guns, and unless you're shooting doubles trap, a single barrel trap gun will suffice.
  8. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Good post :thumbsup:.

I'll have to go back and see how the barrel selector on the Mossberg works I just assumed its a manual switch for upper or lower barrel.

I am a really greenhorn to trap and skeet so please no abbreviation , I am confused STT and IC choke :confused:.
  9. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

OU have a tumble type system that is recoil activated. When you pull the trigger on a live round the tumble instantly selects the next barrel, a simple pull-pull is all that is required.

Going to the gun store and testing this on an empty chamber will not work, no recoil to activate the tumbler. You can however, pull the trigger on an unloaded chamber, smack the butt plate hard with your hand and it should select the next barrel.
  10. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

SBS for Game, OU for Sport.
  11. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Jackman

If you have a chance, go to your local trap and skeet range and introduce yourself and tell the guys what you are trying to do.
    Most if not all of the skeet shooters will be happy to let you try their guns for a shot or two so you can get the actual feel of the different guns.

I typically do not see many side by side guns in skeet shooting if the shooters are serious competitors. I, like some others take my side by side out for fun on occasion but normally shoot either my OU or my automatic.

I think you will find the OU is the best and the easiest to use for either trap or skeet to get started. As said here though, if you are shooting single trap, a single barrel gun is all that is needed, but that is very restrictive to just one event.

One more thought, trap shooters are not usually as friendly as skeet shooters as trap shooters are more elitist;) for some reason, so if going to the range, I would look for a group of skeet shooters to approach. :D

Don't buy til you try a few if at all possible.

Just my thoughts.

UF
  12. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Uncle Fudd thanks :thumbsup:.

We are newbies 15 year old son and I just got started we have a Savage single shot 410 and have been shooting hand tossed clay's (Sonny shoots I toss with thrower) at my gun club and were not doing so good but still having fun, I account the low hit amounts to the 410 being small and not a lot of pellets and also less range than a 12 gauge also factor in that hand tossing clay's is inconsistent.

Upon further shopping I found the the Mossberg 12 gauge S/S is 300 dollars more than the O/U so we are going the O/U route even though we really want a S/S .
  13. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Jackman

Good choice and remember that you can later send to Briley and have them send you a set of Tubes to insert into your barrels to be able to shoot 410, 28 and 20 ga out of one gun.

Also just a reminder as to accuracy and gauges etc.

The 410 has less pellets per shot but the range and the velocity is the same as your 12 or 20 ga.

Your hold or lead on a bird is the same with any of the gauges primarily for skeet as not many people shoot trap with the "little gun".

My favorite of all to shoot skeet is still the 410. I won a world championship with it as a novice at the World championships in San Antonio in 1996.

UF
  14. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I'll be a dissenter to a double-trigger being worse than a single. It is different...but not any worse. You don't need to stop concentrating on your sight picture to switch triggers, it just happens subconciously.

Yeah, it might take a few milliseconds more but for birds in the field it's not a problem. My favorite dove gun is my dad's old Springfield SxS, and dove is pretty furious shooting. I can double with it faster I can pump my 870.
    Now on a skeet or sporting clays range it might take time away from a double...but I can't say for sure as I don't do much clay bird shooting.
    (I used to be one of those elitist trap league shooters though...but it was just a farmer league. Not many rich guys or high dollar guns around here).

Jackman,
    Otherwise, I'll also suggest that if you can get out and fire a few loaners to see which one works best for you.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

SST is single selective trigger. and you dont have to pull flip switch pull with them. you select the barrel you want to go off first and just pull pull. The sear automatically reingages during recoil.