The Firearms Forum banner

Trap shooter?

5K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  sting75ray 
#1 ·
Anybody shoot trap? if so what gun do you shoot?

#2 · (Edited)
Wild Bill, I have shot trap for years and it is not so much the gun but rather the shooter. Up until about a year ago I was shooting a Perazzi but I shot best with an Remington 870 competition trap and like a idiot I traded it off. The 870 I am talking about is no longer made. It is a single shot that has a gas actuated recoil reducer built into what use to be the magazine tube. You should be able to find a nice one in the $600.00 range.

Ron

#4 · (Edited)
Wild Bill; In our family we shoot a few diferent guns. I shoot a 1930's vintage Winchester M-12 with a left hand Anton stock with barrel and choke work done by Stu Wright (pic) My son shoots a Beretta A-302 with a Moneymaker barrel, his wife also shoots a Win. M-12 with custom barrel work . Both he and I have shot an old M-12 20ga. full choke field gun and gone clean at the 16 yd. line with it. I can't shoot his Beretta and he can't shoot my Winchester, but we can both shoot the straight stocked 20ga. field gun. Once in a while I shoot an 870 Wingmaster that my kids gave me about 25 yrs ago. Mike

#6 ·
Mike, how do you like that adjustable comb? I have heard good things about them and bad things about them. That is whats keeping me from getting mine done.
Bill, I like it for this gun. The original stock put my head too low...so for me it shot too high, I like to just touch the target. With this adjusted properly it puts the shot just where
I want it. Mike
P.S. The adjustable comb must be installed by someone that really knows his job..JMHO.

#7 ·
Bill, I like it for this gun. The original stock put my head too low...so for me it shot too high, I like to just touch the target. With this adjusted properly it puts the shot just where
I want it. Mike
P.S. The adjustable comb must be installed by someone that really knows his job..JMHO.
Yes, i would spend the money to have someone do it, but people who shoot the same gun say it is the greatest, and others say it is not worth it. But im shooting good right now, some im not going to monkey with it.

#9 · (Edited)
I have seen (and heard about) all kinds of shooting irons on the trap range. I have seen people swap guns, sell guns, damn near throw guns away.... buy guns, borrow guns, and even saw one guy take a brake hone to the bottom barrel of a Citori! I've seen Lujtic's, Blazers, Kreighoff's, Remington's, Winchester's, Perazzi's, Zoli's, and one old guy that shoots a long barreled H&R Topper!

IMHO, the biggest thing in a trap gun is FIT. The shot must go where you look.....every time. The gun MUST fit YOU....nobody else. The next thing is choke. The choke must throw an evenly dispersed pattern at the distance which you intend to break the bird. Trigger makes little difference (in my mind) as you basically 'slap' the damned thing.

After a gun that fits you, the next thing is adherence to the basics. Head on the stock...("wood to wood").....look at, AND CONCENTRATE on the bird, swing smoothly, and follow through. The actual BIGGEST thing in the game is between the shooter's ears. Confidence is paramount! I have watched people loose as the result of a few well chosen comments by a competitor. Listen to the guys talk behind the line...."how do you like that K-80? I don't trust them, read about one blowing up last month in Seattle. Pretty guns but"....Or, "gave up and sold my Perazzi, had a bad thing about breaking springs". Or, "there are a bunch of rabbits out there in the fall area that drive me nuts!" Just an 'innocent' comment like that can plant the seed that breaks your concentration. Most people defeat themselves....it's not their equipment.

One thing I really enjoy watching is an individual shooter with a $7 or $8,000 gun, dressed in the 'best' attire, their shooting vest covered with their '200 straight' patches, and strutting their stuff.....getting quietly trounced by an old guy with an 870, or, by my 4' 10", 110 lb. daughter-in-law shooting a (nice but old) 30" Winchester M-12. It's fun! Talk about putting some doubt in a person's mind!
Just a few thoughts and observations by a grumpy old man. Mike

#11 · (Edited)
Grandpawmike has it down pat....;)

Fit of the gun is the most important aspect of shooting trap well. And your "head".

I shoot a M12 Winchester trap grade from '36 and recently a Model 3200 Remigton "special trap"

Both fit me pretty well. So it depends on my mood the day I shoot. The 3200 has one barrel opened up to improved/modified, and on 16 yd targets works very well. I have been shooting it most lately.

Regards, Kirk

#16 ·
My grown daughter shot trap yesterday for the first time in her life. She used a 20ga. Rem 870 EXPRESS and broke 18 on her final round.

#18 ·
Wild Bill; In our family we shoot a few diferent guns. I shoot a 1930's vintage Winchester M-12 with a left hand Anton stock with barrel and choke work done by Stu Wright (pic) My son shoots a Beretta A-302 with a Moneymaker barrel, his wife also shoots a Win. M-12 with custom barrel work . Both he and I have shot an old M-12 20ga. full choke field gun and gone clean at the 16 yd. line with it. I can't shoot his Beretta and he can't shoot my Winchester, but we can both shoot the straight stocked 20ga. field gun. Once in a while I shoot an 870 Wingmaster that my kids gave me about 25 yrs ago. Mike

The old Model 12s are hard to beat for trap shooting. Everybody that I know who owns a model 12 puts them in the back of the safe. Not me. I have 10 different Model 12s and they all get shot. Years ago when I first started shooting trap with my dad we both shot Model 12s and I can remember setting them in the rack next to all of the other guns. Guys would walk by and stop and stare at the pair of Winchesters and some would drool over them while a few of the younger ones would make fun of the OLD Model 12 sitting there. At the end of the day the older men were walking away grinning while the younger ones were walking away shaking their heads. Here is a pic of Dad's Model 12 that he once shot. It belongs to my daughter now who shoots it just about as well as her Pa Terry used to. Dad I know every time she turns a clay to dust that you are smiling down on her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.