Trap Shooting Tips

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Tmergen24, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

Been shooting trap biweekly for about a year and a half now but i cant seem to get past 23 out of 25 any advice
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

do you seem to do better at the beginning of a shoot and get worse as you go or ??
  3. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

yah by about the 3rd or 4th round of the day im usually shooting a between 18 or 20
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

common enough , its a stamina thing , folks think swinging a shotgun around for a while is easy , take a look at the top shooters , they all have upper body and lower back excersize routines , do like wise build up your upper body so you dont flag so fast and then you should be improving ..

good luck eh ..
  5. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

6. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Don't miss......
  7. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

That's a good one .....
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

practice... I've shot a 2 perfect rounds of skeet my whole life and that was before I was married and spent 4 days a week at the skeet range; wasn't able to shoot very much for a 3 year period afterwards and my scores suffered as a result. As with most things, most people can't shoot a perfect round on any given day, let alone average near perfect.

So unless you dedicate many hours and $$ on a regular basis, don't expect 25 every time. 23 is a very good score btw...
  9. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

Thanks and I shoot on a team so I prolly shoot 40 to 50 rounds of trap every 2 to 3 months not a whole lot but I'd think I'd see improvement.
    Vicvan likes this.
  10. whirley

whirley Member

I had the same problem until another shooter told me to stand in the #5 position facing in the direction of about 2 o'clock. That gave me enough flexibilityto swing on the extreme right targets. Of course fatigue and physical condition make a difference.
  11. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

When you get to 25, then it will be 50 - 75 - 100 - 200. I've done 100's before but never 200, a few 199's. Practice Practice Practice. Take each target as the first, broke plenty of 24's & dumped the last due to lack of concentration.
  12. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I always try to put too much lead on trap targets as I'm primarily a skeet shooter; when I just aim right at the sucker it blows up every time! put it on the leading edge, 1oz of #8 seems to be my favorite lately.

what flavor gun are you using BTW? what choke? just curious
  13. bobski

bobski Former Guest

you need someone to watch you and tell you what youre doing wrong.
  14. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

For about ten years, mostly the late 70s and through the 80s, I shot both skeet and trap. It took me about two years to become proficient but I finally ended up shooting competition, in Skeet, in 12ga and .410, in individuals and on a team. I have shot many perfect rounds but it didn't come easy. Back then I would shoot 3 or 4 rounds, at least 3 times a week and often more. I was really pretty good from when I first started but, like you, I could not put it all together and shoot the perfect rounds.

The solution for me, was hiring a trainer. Back in the day, for $15 the trainer would walk with you through the round and help you with stance, swing, trigger pull and even how to call "Pull" correctly and so on. I use to shoot in Illinois, at the Lincoln Park Skeet and Trap Range and at the Northbrook Range. Most of the time there were trainers hanging around and you could hire one whenever. Both ranges allowed for them. During my second year of shooting, I must have used a trainer 20 maybe 25 times. My favorite was an elderly woman who had been an Illinois State Champion, several years in a row, in .410 and 28ga.

Anyway, I am rambling too much. By the 10th or 12th time I used a trainer, I was shooting 100s more often than not! However, every once and awhile, even after I started braking 100s, I would hire a trainer to go out with me.
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

have a video tape done of u shooting and send it to Bobski