Trap Shooting Tips

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Tmergen24, Aug 12, 2012.

1. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

As far as guns go, that is really, very subjective. You need to try as many guns as you can. Making friends with other shooter, is a big plus, in getting chances to try their guns. Also most of the better ranges will have guns to rent and usually there is a variety to try.

Many of the top shooters from, back in the day, when I was really active, preferred over n' unders. Back then they could cost from around a $1000 up to $6, $8, $10,000 and even more. Beretta, Ruger, Krieghoff, Perazzi and others. Very few could shoot pump guns well enough to compete, so there were only a few in use, a lot of old Winchester Model 12s and some 870s. Then others, like myself, shot semi-autos. The Remington 1100 being the most popular by a long way. Back then I had two 1100s in 12ga, one with a trap stock and one with a skeet stock. Oh yes, the stock makes a big difference when shooting skeet vs trap. I also had one 1100 in .410 with a skeet stock.

The stock is a serious consideration with respect to your sight picture on a target moving across your front, from left to right or right to left and for a target moving away from you and rising. Skeet stocks are curved, like most standard stocks, however, trap stocks are very straight, almost completely horizontal along the line of the barrel.

You should check that out as well.
  2. ka64

ka64 Active Member

Broke my first 25 with a Wingmaster, broke my first 50 with an 1100, my first 100 with a bt99.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  3. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

Years ago when I first started shooting trap Dad and I both shot Winchester Model 12s and several other shooters would gather around the rack to see the old guns that they thought were made to sit in the back of a safe somewhere gathering dust. I will never forget the afternoon when Dad walked away after running 100 straight on doubles with the old Model 12 pump and 2 other guys who shot less than 90 with their Beretta and Perazzi. They hung their heads in shame as they walked past the old man carrying his OLD model 12 back to the truck. I can never remember Dad shooting less than a 96 on doubles and I watched him for years. When we took the team of kids to Kinsley Ks last Sept and my daughter and another kid on our team walked up to the line with her Model 12 and the other kid with mine, all eyes were on them and several older gentleman came up to me and remarked how nice it was to see young kids shooting such fine old guns. I love my Ruger Red Label and Gold Label and still shoot them quite often but when I want to shoot a round of trap and enjoy the afternoon I drag out my old Model 12 Trap.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Stock fit is very important, it has to fit correct or it will be a neverending frustration. Don't be afraid to chop and modify on your gun, no matter how expensive; a $10k shotgun that doesn't fit is worthless, cut or add length and cheek weld as needed.

One method is to try using an old sheet; hang it up somewhere vertical and paint a "+" sign thru the entire thing. Take a box of shells and one at a time, bring the gun up and fire quickly at the crosshair center without deliberately aiming. (try about 15-20yds) Repeat until finished and look at where the majority of the damage is; this will tell you your natural point of aim with that gun and will allow you to make adjustments from there. I suppose a pattern board could be useful there as well.
  5. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

Very nice story. It brings back memories! Those old timers with the Models 12s were fast as lightning. I had the pleasure of using a Model 12 several times back then from friends I had made. I loved them, although I was not very good for lack of practice. They are the ultimate pump guns. I often wonder why they never made them again. Even now, if they started making them, I would be one of the first in line to buy one!
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

My dad joked about the Model 12, he used to have one in the trunk of the gov car; He used to say you could jack up the car with it or use it as a hammer or whatever, the thing was solid.

Had two short shucks with the 870 yesterday at the skeet range and still had plenty of time to get it back into action and break the targets. I will never use an auto myself as I usually shoot light 7/8oz loads, won't cycle reliably; pump action is king !
  7. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

Cost of making them got way to high. All 12 of mine are Pre 64 Model 12s. Grandpa on mom's side of the family had a Y series model 12 and after he passed away they asked me if I wanted it and I told them to sell it for what they could and give the money to my Grandmother. I never cared to have one of the Y series. The only gun of his I wanted was his old Browning A5 that he bought back in the early 60s. My mother's brother-in-law screwed me around and I never got it. If he wanted it that would have been fine but he bought an old wore out A5 at a gun show and tried to pass it off as Grandpa's gun and he kept the original. That was over 10 years ago and I have not or ever will speak to the sack of $hit again.:mad: Get on-line on Gunsamerica and find you one of the old Model 12s, you can't go wrong. I always told my wife I wanted 12 model 12s. Now that I have them she thinks I am done but I am only waiting until I find 2 of them to buy at the same time so I won't be stuck on 13 for a while.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  8. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

I Love It!!!

Do you have any idea what a nice one sells for now days?
  9. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

They vary quite a bit in price depending on what you want. Plain old field grades go from 500 to 1200 and trap grades 1500 to 3000. Like I said in the other post though, if it was me I would stay away from the Y series model 12s. I bought a nice Model 12 at a local gun show a while back that was not a trap grade but it had been sent off to Simmons in KC Mo and had a rib installed. It was avery clean old gun and the guy was asking 750. After walking around a while I went back and offered him 600 for it and took her home.:D Somewhere on here are the pics of all my model 12s together. I will find it later and bring it back up for you to see.
  10. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

Well last nitght was interesting shot my first 25 then must of been feeling it shots my second 25 the next round
  11. ka64

ka64 Active Member

Then you just shot your first 50, Congrats.......
  12. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

With the 870 just saying lol
  13. Lapua Kid

Lapua Kid New Member

In the trap world you have alot of good trap instructors that travel the country that can help people out and this website might give you some insight www.trapshooters.com . I shot Trap and Skeet for years i learned as usual everyone wants to help but good advise normally isnt cheap.
  14. musketshooter

musketshooter New Member

Keep your head tight on the stock and your eye on the bird.
  15. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Most of the good shooters at my club use the BT-99. We see a lot of high end over unders and a few pumps. My son has an 1100 trap from 1979. I have a Ruger Red Label 1989.

There is a difference between a field gun and a trap gun. Most trap guns are good only for trap.
  16. ka64

ka64 Active Member

Yepper,I've shot with Kay & Phil. They're somethin to see.... :eek:
  17. gvw3

My son got his 1st 24 this weekend. I got a 23. We have been doing this for about 4 months. I think he will get a 25 this year. He is in the 20's all the time. We go every weekend. We plan on going all winter if we can.
  18. langenc

langenc Member

Get a 4 or 5# weight and swing it around 20 and then 30 and then 40 min/day. Then move up a pound or two and do the same. Lift with both arms/hands and by spring you will see a difference. Im not saying you will do all 25's but the 23 and 24's will be easier and then the 25's will come.

Weights will cost less than a round of trap.
  19. gvw3

It's way to cold today to go shoot trap. Since my last post my son did get his 1st 25. My high is still 23. Hope it warms up a little so we can get back out there. Anything under 30 degrees is to cold for these old bones.
  20. Finnish genius

Finnish genius New Member

Old Soupy loved his Model 12's ,bought all his kids one . He hunted ducks a lot and shot trap here at our range. He's shooting upstairs now . The stories about the old-timers and their pumps are always enjoyable. I have a field model and like it. Hell it is older than I am. Ken