The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap Shooting Tips

20K views 58 replies 21 participants last post by  gvw3 
#1 ·
Been shooting trap biweekly for about a year and a half now but i cant seem to get past 23 out of 25 any advice

#27 · (Edited)
Very nice story. It brings back memories! Those old timers with the Models 12s were fast as lightning. I had the pleasure of using a Model 12 several times back then from friends I had made. I loved them, although I was not very good for lack of practice. They are the ultimate pump guns. I often wonder why they never made them again. Even now, if they started making them, I would be one of the first in line to buy one!
Cost of making them got way to high. All 12 of mine are Pre 64 Model 12s. Grandpa on mom's side of the family had a Y series model 12 and after he passed away they asked me if I wanted it and I told them to sell it for what they could and give the money to my Grandmother. I never cared to have one of the Y series. The only gun of his I wanted was his old Browning A5 that he bought back in the early 60s. My mother's brother-in-law screwed me around and I never got it. If he wanted it that would have been fine but he bought an old wore out A5 at a gun show and tried to pass it off as Grandpa's gun and he kept the original. That was over 10 years ago and I have not or ever will speak to the sack of $hit again.:mad: Get on-line on Gunsamerica and find you one of the old Model 12s, you can't go wrong. I always told my wife I wanted 12 model 12s. Now that I have them she thinks I am done but I am only waiting until I find 2 of them to buy at the same time so I won't be stuck on 13 for a while.

#28 ·
Cost of making them got way to high. All 12 of mine are Pre 64 Model 12s. Grandpa on mom's side of the family had a Y series model 12 and after he passed away they asked me if I wanted it and I told them to sell it for what they could and give the money to my Grandmother. I never cared to have one of the Y series. The only gun of his I wanted was his old Browning A5 that he bought back in the early 60s. My mother's brother-in-law screwed me around and I never got it. If he wanted it that would have been fine but he bought an old wore out A5 at a gun show and tried to pass it off as Grandpa's gun and he kept the original. That was over 10 years ago and I have not or ever will speak to the sack of $hit again.:mad: Get on-line on Gunsamerica and find you one of the old Model 12s, you can't go wrong. I always told my wife I wanted 12 model 12s. Now that I have them she thinks I am done but I am only waiting until I find 2 of them to buy at the same time so I won't be stuck on 13 for a while.
I Love It!!!

Do you have any idea what a nice one sells for now days?

#29 ·
I Love It!!!

Do you have any idea what a nice one sells for now days?
They vary quite a bit in price depending on what you want. Plain old field grades go from 500 to 1200 and trap grades 1500 to 3000. Like I said in the other post though, if it was me I would stay away from the Y series model 12s. I bought a nice Model 12 at a local gun show a while back that was not a trap grade but it had been sent off to Simmons in KC Mo and had a rib installed. It was avery clean old gun and the guy was asking 750. After walking around a while I went back and offered him 600 for it and took her home.:D Somewhere on here are the pics of all my model 12s together. I will find it later and bring it back up for you to see.

#35 ·
Most of the good shooters at my club use the BT-99. We see a lot of high end over unders and a few pumps. My son has an 1100 trap from 1979. I have a Ruger Red Label 1989.

There is a difference between a field gun and a trap gun. Most trap guns are good only for trap.

#37 ·
My son got his 1st 24 this weekend. I got a 23. We have been doing this for about 4 months. I think he will get a 25 this year. He is in the 20's all the time. We go every weekend. We plan on going all winter if we can.

#38 ·
Get a 4 or 5# weight and swing it around 20 and then 30 and then 40 min/day. Then move up a pound or two and do the same. Lift with both arms/hands and by spring you will see a difference. Im not saying you will do all 25's but the 23 and 24's will be easier and then the 25's will come.

Weights will cost less than a round of trap.

#39 ·
It's way to cold today to go shoot trap. Since my last post my son did get his 1st 25. My high is still 23. Hope it warms up a little so we can get back out there. Anything under 30 degrees is to cold for these old bones.

#41 ·
I'm relatively new to infrequent trap (shooting anywhere from 20 - 23 on good days). However, while I do want to get better, my reaction to what seems to me to be an over-focus on "perfect scores" is that it must be way too easy / unrealistic - almost like "cheating."

Sorry if I offended (I know that 100 or 200 without a miss is amazing), but I've started shooting more skeet (a lot harder for me), which seems more realistically like hunting ... and trap with the gun in a carry position - not all lined up (I've been told that they do it this way somewhere in the world - UK?).

I guess that rather than perfection at something relatively simple (more of a concentration exercise), learning to do well at something more complex and challenging is more attractive to me.

#42 ·
23 out of 25. That's not bad at all. Feel good about that. I shot for 25 years and I was not the best nor the worst in our league. My average in the 25 years was 90.1 %. I was happy with that. My eyes and reflexes are gone now but still enjoy it some. I had a number of 50 straight but never 100. Just have fun.

#43 ·
had about a two month dry spell in my skeet shooting, finally got back to the range on thursday and managed to eek out an 80 on my first 100. finished up strong with a 23 on round #5. not bad for being rusty! (and 20g loads in my 12)

Need to load some more shells and get back this week; found some 3/4oz 12g wads at wholesale sports last month, will see what I can hit with 3/4oz of reclaimed shot this week! poof....

#44 ·
I got my 1st 24 last week. I just bought a Browning BT-99 and am very off and on with it. I have always used a field gun in trap and the BT is a stiff learning curve for me. My score is all over the place so far. Last time 14-20-24-16.

With my Ruger Red Label I had to be right on the clay. If I aimed under it would miss. With the BT-99 I need to see the clay (aim under it). THe BT -99 trap gun is made to shoot high so you can see the clay.

I did get my best all time score of 24 with it but need to get more consistent with it. I know I will never be a great trap shooter as I started at 62 years old. I just want to have fun at the range.

#45 ·
walked into my local gun shop. Siting on the counter was a ??? o/u with more engraving than you ever imagine. I says to the owner, "does that scroll work make the gun shoot better?' He answered, "no, but you sure look good while shooting bad." Makes sense to me

#46 ·
At my club there are some guys with deep pockets. They have $25k or better shotguns. I started with a Mossberg 535 pump. A good shotgun will improve your score but there is a limit.

#47 ·
I got my 1st 24 last week. I just bought a Browning BT-99 and am very off and on with it. I have always used a field gun in trap and the BT is a stiff learning curve for me. My score is all over the place so far. Last time 14-20-24-16.

With my Ruger Red Label I had to be right on the clay. If I aimed under it would miss. With the BT-99 I need to see the clay (aim under it). THe BT -99 trap gun is made to shoot high so you can see the clay.

I did get my best all time score of 24 with it but need to get more consistent with it. I know I will never be a great trap shooter as I started at 62 years old. I just want to have fun at the range.
Keep at it, I just got my first 25 last week. And I was shooting ahead, so none of my team was there to witness it. Good thing its on paper though:D

#48 ·
Part of the problem could be I'm using a 870 with no rib I'd about kill for a nice trap gun
Since the gun you are probably shooting is a field gun and they shoot flat. A "good trap gun will shoot any percentage high depending on the rib. Then you would have to learn to shoot all over again. I've seen a lot of 870's on the line walk off with the money.

I went with the other low ender Mossberg 500 in 20 and the 535 in 12. Wish I'd got the 870.

#49 ·
Last week they had an 870 with a 30" raised rib trap barrel at the Cabela's here. I never saw one of these before. I didn't know they made them.

#50 ·
Part of the problem could be I'm using a 870 with no rib I'd about kill for a nice trap gun
I'm n old "Fart" 75 this coming December

I shoot an 870 with a rib 12 gauge, and a Mossberg 500 20 gauge, both have ribs neither have a front sight, I have always shot one eyed and always will.

Been shooting trap since the 9mm ammo went away and doing quite well the first 3 or 4 stations, fatigue usually happens somewhere around the middle of station 4 and turns a 24 into 18 to 21.

Find a pawnshop buy a clean gun with a rib at 16 yards gauge doesn't matter.

Just have fun!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.