Trap & Skeet

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  williamd 
G
#1 ·
mckheean
V.I.P. Member
(11/26/02 8:32:59 am)
Reply | Edit | Del All Trap & Skeet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just joined the local shooting club and would like to get into trap and skeet.The only shotgun that I have now is a Remington 1100 12 ga.28"Modified.What barrel do you recomend for this shotgun for trap and skeet?

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(11/26/02 11:31:47 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Trap & Skeet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi mckheean,

The shotgun barrel that feels the most comfortable to you is the one to use.

With modern powders a shotshell has burned all its powder up at 20 inches into the barrel. For this reason a longer barrel will do no more than give you a longer sighting plane and affect the way the shotgun swings for you.

Real serious Trap shooters like a long barrel for the longer sighting plane. But remember this is a shotgun throwing a pattern of shot, not a rifle where a long sighting plane makes precise aiming easier.

A shorter barrel is lighter and much quicker to aquire a target with. Balance of the gun will aslo be affected by barrel length.

When shooting flying targets with a shotgun it is important to "follow through". What I mean by this is to keep the barrel moving with the target. The biggest cuase of shooting behind the target is not following through. There are a couple different opinions on how barrel length affects this.

The first is that a longer barrel has more weight and there fore the kinetic energy of its motion will keep the barrel moving.

The second is that a longer barrel is harder and slower to get on target and you have to swing quicker to keep on target.

I shoot on a couple sporting clays teams and the occasional trap shoot. I prefer a shorter barrel.

The action of the shotgun also makes a differance. On a double barrel shotgun the action is much shorter than an automatic or pump, therefore a SxS or over under with a 28" barrel will be the same length or shorter as an atuo or pump with a 26".

My Browning SxS with the 26" barrel on it seems very short, but it swings VERY quick. I also have a 28" for it and with that one installed it is sorter than my Nova with the 26".

Choke selection is a whole 'nuther ball game. Trap is usually shot with full or mod choke and skeet is usually shot with I/C or skeet choke. If you do get another barrel get one with interchangeable chokes.

If your gun has a 3" reciever it might have problems with the light trap loads.

So shoot the barrel that is comfortable to you on the gun, the one that is on it is probably fine,

mckheean
V.I.P. Member
(11/26/02 12:11:41 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Skeet & Trap
Thanks warpig883 that's what I need to know. Benny

pickenup
V.I.P. Member
(11/27/02 2:09:45 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Skeet & Trap
If you are going to get another shotgun. Go to a shop and try sighting down both types. Some people have a little difficulty sighting down one or the other. I prefer an O/U. I could not hit anything with a SxS. Happy shooting.

boomatic
V.I.P. Member
(12/5/02 2:04:38 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Skeet & Trap
I shoot a lot of trap. I prefer O/U with 30". I use a Citori 325. I have a 32" barrel also. Like the other guys said...look, look, look...try, try, try.

I love the old "eyes closed" test. Asume a ready stance, close eyes, bring the gun to firing position, the open eyes. Are you looking straight down the barrel? If so...it'll work! This, of course has more to do with comfort and LOP, but that is VERY important in trap and skeet.

.05 cents
"A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!"

Paid for by the Xracer and Boom-atic for Federal Office Campaign

Different name
*TFF Staff*
(12/10/02 8:12:10 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Skeet & Trap
I shoot Trap/Skeet & Sporting Clays.
You have already received some very good advise.
Mostly, and from my personal associations with competitive shooters --
Trap Shooters often prefer a single barrel of 30"
Others choose the O/U 28/30 brls. (Seems to be individual
choices.
Skeet Shooters opt for O/U & Semi-auto w/spec brls
Sporting Clay Shooters are caught most of the time with expensive O/U with all the bells and whistles.
(Personal fitting of your chosen gun is a must.)
Have your lgth of pull and drop at comb and heel double checked and then practice to perfect your shooting routines.
It takes a lot of shooting and determination to compete successfully (Join the ATA & ASPA/ASSA.)

Charlie D
My guns: Trap Model 12 Winchester Trap 30" full/w tubes
Sporting Clays Ithaca 12 ga. O/U 30" full w/tubes
Skeet Winchester 101 Skeet O/U 28" skeet tubes

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
For skeet, get a skeet choked bbl. For trap, depending on distance, M, Mod Trap, IM or F will do.

A bbl with RemChokes may be all you need. I prefer a bit shorter bbl on my skeet side but you can do boht nicely with a 26" (or 28") RemChoke bbl.

Some folks think a longer, and therefore heavier, bbl helps you swing and get on target and give follow through. ...... As many answers/opinions as trap and/or skleet shooters. They are all right .... for them!:D

PS: I use 1100's for trap and skeet (O/U, pump, single bbl, ..., too) .. but an autoloader will do both jobs! 1100 is a great choice. Enjoy!!

#3 ·
All good advice.

I'm going to respectfully go against the grain here.
I would advise a new shooter to just go out and have fun. Your 1100 will need a little metal clip on the side of the receiver to catch emptys if you ever want to reload. At 16 yards, you will have oodles of fun with your 28" mod., and be competitive in handicap out to 20 yards or so.

For skeet, things may be a little different. Your gun is choked just a little too tight to really break great skeet scores, but a modified is lots better than full. Here again, I recommend you go out and have fun.

What you are going to do is learn a bunch. After a season or two, you will know if you like this type of shooting, and will have built a preference for a particular type of gun. You do have to do the homework, and you can only spend the money once.
Mark

#4 ·
I recommend a shell catcher for the 1100, too. I use one at trap ... useless the guy on my right is a S-head then I remove it and turn a bit more to the right!!! :D

Helps you save those AA hulls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.