trapdoor gurus please read

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by L98 driver, Sep 17, 2006.

1. L98 driver

L98 driver New Member

Hey guys,
    I have a US Springfield rifle model 1878 with the date 1886 stamped on the stock.
    The story is that it was won in a sales contest by my great grandfather as a recent surplus military unit (year unknown). He was not a gun guy so he put it into the attic where it remained until about 2 years ago when I moved it to a less humid location. I have been told that it was has not been fired cense it left the armory I have searched the internet and now know mostly what it is but I still have some questions about it.
    After looking at several pictures of these on the net I can say that the stock is in excellent condition with only a very few minor flaws, all the stampings are in the proper place and are distinct. After looking at pictures of others I think that this stock is the best I have seen. The finish is dirty but seems to also be in excellent condition. The bore has some minor rust but seems to be in excellent condition.
    The down side is the outside has rust allover with minor pitting except the cover plate on the right side that has some heaver pitting and one rivet head is missing.

Questions
    What should I do to preserve it? I’m sure I need to do something to stop the rust but what? Should I,or someone else try to remove the rust? What to use to clean the stock?
    What might I expect to pay to have this done? Is there any expert gunsmiths out there specializing in trapdoors?
    If any one wants to take a shot at what it’s worth I’d appreciate it
    When did Uncle Sam surplus these?
    My rifle has a single blade front sight. I have seen few pictures with round sight or a sight guard? Different model?

I have not found any service records on this but maybe some of you have access to better records than me it’s s/n 355619
    Thanks

Dave
  2. Chick4

Chick4 New Member

Check out this website: www.trapdoorcollector.com . They have all sorts of information on trapdoors as well as links to even more info. I've got an 1877 model 1873 and have learned a lot about it from these guys. You should also check out the Springfield Research Service web site. You can actually see if they have any info on your particular gun. Good luck and enjoy.
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I sold a really nice one last year for $900 and it took me a long time to find a buyer.
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

5. L98 driver

L98 driver New Member

Thanks all,
    I have been to all over the web and read a bunch about them.
    I'll probably never sell this thing , just wandering what it is worth.
    I think mine is in much better shape than the one southernshooter has linked.
    I still need some opinions on what to do to preserve it without over restoring it.
    thanks again
    D
  6. njretcop

njretcop New Member

I have two, an 1884 and a rare 1888RRB model.

I clean mine with boiled linseed oil on the wood and Flitz on the metal.

Then a light coat of Rem oil. Value is diffiicult to establish. Finding the right buyer is the trick. Some people appreciate them for what they are, while others just want one.......

Having one that was passed down in the family is really great and like you, I would never part with it.
  7. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest