The Firearms Forum banner

trapdoor springfield

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Silver72 
#1 ·
I bought a trapdoor springfield based on Fjestads and information on the net. Since then I have been reading more about the rifles and am wondering what my rifle may be worth.

Its marked a Model 1884 but has the the rod bayonet and the clear cartouche says it was made in 1890. Its in great shape. Can anyone give me some idea of its worth? Be glad to email pics if any of you trapdoor collectors want to see it.

Just as a side note my mayor was a major in the army and got shot up in Vietnam and got a medical dishcharge in the 60's. His wife got it for him as a gift and its sat in a closet ever since. its a neat old rifle.......

Thanks for any info you may provide.

Steve

#2 ·
Your 1884 Trapdoor is like mine. Many of these guns were returned to arsenals for rebuilding. The mark of 1884, and the inspectors mark of 1890 would indicate this was done to our guns. The War Dept. put about 32,000 .45 trapdoors up for sale for $.75 ea. These could not be sold to individuals, therefore several retail firms bought them. An old 1902 Sears, Roebuck & Co. catalog offered them for $2.75 with a bayonet and 20 rounds of ammo. All were disposed of by 1939. Trapdoors are seen at just about every gun show and are found on internet auctions. Asking prices vary greatly with condition, $550 to well over $1,000.

#4 ·
Goebel32, we have a Buy/Sell/Trade forum if you'd like to make a post there to advertise your rifle.

And BTW, welcome to TFF! :)

#6 ·
OK. And thanks, both of you. I'll check the bbl length. I don't know much about it, it has been in the gun cabinet since 1952. Someone once told me it was maybe worth a thousand dollars!!!!!!!! I would rate the wood and metal at about 85% but the bore is as bright and nice as new. I see them occassionaly in the Gun List for sale, in the 7-900 range but have no way of knowing where mine would rate. Anyway, I'm really enjoying the posts here. I spend almost all of my reading time over at Matt's place, the Firearms Enthusiast. But I do have a dozen or so old Mausers and Enfields, so maybe I'll check in here once in a while. Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.