Traveling through Canada and Alaska ....

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by dTb, Jan 11, 2011.

1. dTb

dTb New Member

The wife and I will be making a 4 month R.V. trip through the U.S., Canada, and Alaska this summer. Would like to have a 20 gauge shotgun with us for self protection (no other weapons). Canada has the most strict laws. Can I transport a shotgun through Canada (and U.S. and Alaska) and is it worth the trouble of getting all the required documentation or should I just leave the shotgun at home.

Dan.
  2. brushcutter

brushcutter New Member

It's best to just leave it at home. Even if you fill out all the paperwork to transport it through Canada, they will most likely give you the once over for a couple of hours at customs. The Canadiens really don't want you to bring firearms into Canada.
  3. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Before 9/11, I flew into Canada with a 30/30 in the plane. I ask customs if they wanted to see the gun, they said no so away I flew.

Today there are some forms you have to fill out and pay a fee but you can get a shotgun or rifle through Canada if you want to fool with the paperwork.

Now days, I'd leave the guns at home.
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

so, i got a nagging question.. i know there is a road that goes from the continental us to alaska via canada. do you have to have a passport to drive to alaska? and i take it you cant take guns with you? so if i want to go to canada and take my guns i need to take a boat or plane?
  5. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Active Member

6. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

The law in Canada goes crazy. During a border check the Customs Police discovered I had a concealed carry permit at home in the U.S. I was held by
    the customs who called a Firearms Expert from the NWMP. I was held for 4
    hours. They wanted to know why I had a weapons permit how many handguns
    I owned. I told them that it was none of their damn business. I was informed that only gun smugglers have these permits. They said Yank this is not the U.S.A. and you have no rights. I finally refused to talk
    and ask to talk to the to the U.S. Consul. They said no need just a little misunderstanding we are sorry. I will never go back to that Nazi country for
    anything. Say out of Canada and fly to Alaska with you .44 Mag. If you have a carry permit leave it at home.

RC
  7. brushcutter

brushcutter New Member

There is a book called The Milepost that is full of travel information through Canada and Alaska via the Alaska Highway and other routes. It is invaluable for auto travel but not 100% accurate partially because many things change after printing such as store closings etc.

Passports are mandatory for getting through customs, but it isn't difficult to obtain one. Start early thogh because it can take a couple of months to get it done.

As mentioned before, taking a firearm through Canada is a pain even if you have the paperwork filled out ahead of time. They will detain you with lots of questions, and most likely go through your vehicle for a couple of hours. Without any guns it usually takes only a few minutes. Unless you appear nervous or smart-aleck.
  8. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Don't take a firearm into Canada. No the laws change every time you are stopped. I am sure you won't act nervouse when machine gun toting cops
    attack you on rural high ways. This is a far left police state. Don't buy this
    marshmellow good Canadain customs story. I have know to many American
    hunters who have been hasseled by these Storm Troopers.

RC
  9. Karle

Karle New Member

i know lots of military ppl that simply mail their guns to themselves when the move to and from alaska....since u don't have an alaskan address u will need to mail ur firearms to some address......don't need a FFL to do this just addresses.....and a person to receive BUT NOT OPEN the package....
  10. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Active Member

You might want to check with the post office before
    you mail anything that is prohibited by them.:D
  11. whirley

whirley Member

Don't go to Canada or buy Canadian products including vehicles.
  12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

alrighty... frick candada then. ima boat to alaska
  13. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

John, We live in Eagle on the Yukon, 4 miles from Canada. I've had bear come in on me like a cat on rabbit front quarters down butt in air, ears going like crazy; actually quite common if you are around blk bear, yearling males. One I shot, other one, in CANADA at steamboat at pull off I was able to wave and yell off at 4-5 feet. I had pistol in trk but couldn't get at it fast enough and my 4 year old was on porta potty in trailer, where I do believe the bear wanted to go. I always have a gun anywheres I go for bear protection.

Years ago, you could hide gun and get through, not no more. I hauled 2 gun vaults and 10K rounds through to Ak in early 90's. They didn't even open trailer door when I told them I didn't have any guns.

You can bring long gun after paying fee to Canada which is what I would do.

Living near the border, locals on both sides travel back and forth unimpeded. The river is our highway. They hunt, trap, fish, on both sides. Many people are inter-related. Canadians where I live are no different than Alaskans. The Indians don't even believe they are one or the other, tell both govts to stick it. I have Canadian friends stay at my place half dozen times every summer. They all have mini-14's & pistols in Canada too; just keep them under cover.

We live at the end of the Taylor, past Chicken 185 miles up the road from TOK, PM me your phone number, I'll fill ya in on what to see on your trip.
  14. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Is there a Ferry that leaves out of Washington State that you can ride (with your vehicle) to AK without dealing with any of Canadas laws? I know way back in the early 70s we took shotguns and rifles with us when we went to Canada on fishing trips with no problems HOWEVER the last time I was even close to the border was when I was on my HD with my 45 on my side. I was warned by other bikers to not even attempt to take it through customs or else I would be in a Canadian jail if not under it!!! Used to be on the AlCan HWY they would put a wire twist lock on any weapons and when you made it to customs on the other end it had better still be locked or else some one had a LOT of explaining to do but that is no longer done according to a buddy of mne who travels the AlCan HWY every year.
    It is a shame too, Canada has some very nice country yet their government has spoiled the tourist market with their Nazi style gun laws IMHO!
  15. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

With all those strict gun rules, how do Americans who hunt in Canada get by without being hassled?