Traveling with a gun and no CCW.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by keepitlow, Aug 18, 2011.

1. keepitlow

keepitlow New Member

If I keep an unloaded gun and the ammo in my RV am I safe if stopped by the police?

Or do they have to be in seperate compartments, like the ammo in the car and pistol in RV?

I heard pistols have to be in locked cases when transporting in some states, out of reach of the driver, but was not sure?

I do a lot of boondocking, (pretty much urban docking) and would load it up at night, break it down in the daytime. Have no CCW, so trying to stay within the law.
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

To be safe, I would keep the firearm unloaded and encased in one compartment, and ammunition away from the firearm in a separate compartment out of reach. That's just when you're on the road. I'd think you could carry if it's legal once you're parked.
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Every state has their own laws which can differ from state to state. I use http://www.gunlawguide.com/ this book to look up the rules in whatever state I am going to traverse. Some states require that it be locked, in a holster with a snap and in the trunk and other states you can openly place it in any spot in your vehicle.
    EDIT: If you give me a list of states, I can look them up for you.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  4. keepitlow

keepitlow New Member

Thanks, but I don't know the exact states?

Maybe go from Ohio to VT on one trip. Then from PA to CO on another? Was trying to have a 'general plan' to be legal in most of the 50, so was not concerned with individual states. Don't know about NY and NJ, heard they are tough. But don't plan to go there.

This is what has kept me from traveling with a gun. Too many crazy laws to comply with. Too bad the rules can't be standardized.
  5. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I have travelled over a lot of the country with a trunk full of rifles and ammo and usually a handgun in glove compartment. When going on these prairie dog shoots I get a letter from local sheriff that I am on a hunting trip and not a terrorist. I do avoid certain states with very restrictive laws ( Illinois for example). As stated in other posts each state has different laws
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Get the book gunclinger links. Get a new one every year (they update each year, and the laws they keep a'changin'). 14 bucks. Big whoop.

"I've driven all over the country like this". That's great. Long as you don't get caught you can do anything.

In 2003 I was coming back from a match in Wisconsin, missed my exit on the interstate and ended up driving through Chicago with about ten guns in the truck, including a loaded one in the console. No problem. I didn't get stopped. If I had, however, I'd probably still be in jail. Even if I wasn't, I'd certainly be out about 5 thousand dollars worth of guns.

You want to know what the laws are where you're going, what the laws are in the states you have to go through to get there, and what places you need to make sure you drive around.
  7. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

simple solution..dont get stopped.....i almost always have a loaded weapon somewhere within reach when traveling out of state. out of sight and not on me. if I do get stopped and for any reason the police wish to search vehicle own up right away..most will listen and give it back unloaded if you are not arrested. Police are people too and understand the fears we have traveling. in over 50 yrs never had a weapon not returned to me and not once was charged for it being in vehicle. RESPECT gets Respect.
  8. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

For all these reasons I leave my guns at home when I travel. And frankly it pisses me off every time I'm alerted by the media about another victim that was unable to protect himself (or herself) or family because it would seem the law doesn't want us to.

I don't have a CCW for my own county, how could I possibly consider interstate travel and not wory about ruining my life simply because I chose to afford my family the protection they deserve.
    I'm afraid it's only getting worse.
  9. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

even if i lived in an area where i couldn't carry at all i would still be armed.

fines are usually cheaper than funerals.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Get the book! Like some of the other posters on this one, I have traveled all over th U.S. with guns. I have been in a lot of places that most folks wouldn't think about carring a gun! Like National parks, and that was before the new laws that now allow it, and a few other places that you simply would not believe! Just stay below radar, know the laws, and don't get into trouble!
  11. north tex

north tex Member

The most worrisome states are in order NJ, Ma, NY, Md, Il, and Ca. Also add DC. There is more than just the firearms location and ammo location in the vehicle. Certain states prohibit possession of a mag capacity of more than 10. At least until recently NJ prohibited possession of HP ammo. (may have changed recently). Some have mandatory prison if convicted. Some prohibit stun guns and tasers. There are locations that even prohibit pepper spray. Your best bet is to research each states gun laws from the link above.
    The Federal law is some help, but it doesn't guarantee that you won't take a ride in the police car.
    Quoted from the NRA-ILA web page....
    "Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

I would not stop overnight in any of the above mentioned NE states. Vt., NH., and Me. are not a big problem. Pa. is not a big problem except for Philadelphia. The rest of them pass through as quickly and unobtrusively as possible. Maintain a low profile.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  12. Bodyguard

Bodyguard New Member

Don't go to New Jersey under any circumstances unless you are only passing through with no stops other than fuel. You will get a lot more than a fine....you'll be put in jail if you have a handgun no matter how it's being transported. Their laws are nearly impossible to follow, even for those of us who lived there! The police hate guns in the hands of anyone but themselves (with some exceptions) and the state will prosecute to the full extent of the confusing law. For any other state, look up the particular laws.
  13. 45nut

45nut Active Member

The book is a good idea. Personally, I ain't going anywhere without a weapon, usually one that launches a projectile at a bad guy at a minimum of 1,000 fps.

I don't plan on ever going to NJ, MS, NY or Illinois. Too many liberals for me. If I did, it would be via my truck and I disarm for no man, period.

I would love to look into where my ancestors lived in Weston MS and go to Lexington, Concord and Boston, to see where our Revolution started and where my ancestor answered the call to arms on April 15, 1775, but unless Massachusetts changes radically, it will never happen.