tree rat hunting

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by old semperfi, Aug 4, 2010.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i live in southern indiana and tree rat season is a couple of weeks away.i have for years only used a 22 bolt marlin.i have discovered that if i use cb caps i can get more shots in an area without waiting for the crack to be forgotten.i also found out that a well placed head shot tends to knock squirrels 5 or 6 feet out of the tree.it seems that the 22 cb only travels about 450 fps and all the energy is absorbed instead of going thru. old semperfi
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

similar to bunnies here under 75 yards
  3. Infidel

Infidel New Member

I'll second that. My tree rat gun is an old Ithaca model-49, lever action single shot. I shoot CB shorts out of it(longs are louder and less accurate for some reason). Sounds like an air rifle, and has a better kill'em ratio that my newer marlin semi-auto. Those subs take em out good.

I had a ground hog that had been messing up my garden for about a month. A few days ago he stopped to look up after crossing under my fence. Bad move, head shot at 50 yds. He never took another step. I love that little old gun!:)
  4. whip

whip New Member

I used CBs for shooting muskrats in order to cut down on skips off the water. Shot one once and netted him into the boat set him in the bottom of the boat was lining up on another one when the muskrat came alive biting and crawling right up my neopreme waders towards my face. It was big old male and it was spring of the year when they mate and he was mad. That CB had bounced right off his head and temporarily rendered him unconscious and really upsetting him. It came down to hand to teeth and I ended up winning but it was intense for moment.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I've been hunting these little critters all my life. I started out with the old .22 short, at age 9, but soon found that the long rifle worked best for me, and the way I hunt. Now, I always start off the season with my trusty 12 gauge to get some meat in the freezer, then switch to the .22. One year, when I was only 12, a friend of mine at school and a couple of others started a contest to see who could bag the most in one season. I can in second with a total of 148.
  6. zb338

zb338 New Member

I like to use a bazooka. One shot and the noise makes them all fall
    out of the trees knocked out. All I have to do is walk around and
    pick them off of the ground.

Zeke
  7. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Bazookas are dangerous. Try using "flash bangs".
  8. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    nothing like a good mess of limb rats no matter what kind of weapon you use,i love to squirrel hunt.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Bazooka!!!!! you got muslim squirrels? jihadist ones at that???
  10. catmantoo

catmantoo New Member

What about tree rat problem?
    I have a few problems with them. They are trying to eat my deck, furntiure and all. I trap a few, kill a few and there's still to many to deal with.
    later catman

Attached Files:

11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's some bad stuff there catman and I can relate to that!

I use the same shotgun I used when I was a kid, a Winchester single 12ga. That's my squirrel gun. Just love the good old bang that it makes and the echos thru the woods as it just gets light!

Attached Files:

12. Roadkil

Roadkil New Member

I love tree rat's. I look forward to the 1st of Sept. every year. Never hunted with a 22, always used a shotgun. My favorite shotgun to use is my New England Firearms 12 ga. single shot.

Took my last two tree rats out of the freezer from last year today. Going to fry them up and make some gravey and corn bread.
  13. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

i like to use a 30-06. i shoot so close to their nose that the low pressure from the stirred up air sucks the air from their lungs so they sufficate.
  14. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    that would be cool,what do you do when the round penetrates a six year olds head two miles away thats playing in his yard. old semperfi
  15. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

nothing, because i was joking and would never do that for that very reason.
  16. Zane71464

When I fisrt saw 30-, I was thinking...Oh Boy! LOL :D
  17. carver

carver Moderator

I have killed severl squirrels, and rabits with a 30-06. Each time though I was in a tree stand, and they were on the ground. Head or neck, meat in the pot!
  18. carver

carver Moderator

For those of you that use a shot gun for squirrels, what size shot do you use? I like the #4 because it's eaiser to get the shot out of the squirrel, that is what doesn't go all the way thru.
  19. Zane71464

+1 on that here. I use the #4 shot as well.
    I have used 5 and even 6, but I agree with you there on the #4 shot.
    IMO, it's the best shot as carver described.
  20. Roadkil

Roadkil New Member

High brass #4 shot here.