tree rat hunting

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by old semperfi, Aug 4, 2010.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i know ill catch he.. for this,but to me using a shotgun for treerats is like using dynamite for fishing.wheres the sport..............old semperfi
  2. Infidel

Infidel New Member

I'll catch it with ya', same here.;)
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that at all old semperfi! Ive hunted with the .22, and still do from time to time, but useing that old 12ga. and hearing the "roar" from way back in the hills as the daylight breaks...just something about that with me.
    Here a couple of years ago, I had to use the .22 around the house here as they were all over in the trees directly overtop my house, nut's falling non-stop on my roof, at all hours...12ga shells was getting a bit expensive..had to and wanted to resort to the .22!;):D
    EDIT: Not to mention I had to take some well placed shots for the fact I didnt want them falling right on my roof or decks! lol
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  4. Zane71464

I'm going to get the old Savage .22mag/20ga out this year and see how she does for the fact Ive never taken her hunting before since ive owned her.

Attached Files:

5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Zane , thats a very popular gun here, that and the 12G version. Folks like to hunt the edge of the ranges as you get Roo, Pigs and goats and rabbits along there and its right down the eastern seaboard .

20G solid is a great boar stopper and the .22 mag will drop roo's and goaties for a good 200 meters no worries!, enjoy !
  6. Roadkil

Roadkil New Member

Not gonna give ya hell. I just use a shotgun because I do not own a .22
  7. noslolo

noslolo New Member

20ga is very popular around here for tree rats. I would love to use the .22 but I'm afraid of a miss and where the rounds land could be an issue. Dang things hang out in the branches.
  8. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

squirrel season opens this Saturday here in WV. I will be out with my S&W 22A pistol and trying to get a couple for the pot.

Zane I really like that 22/12g combo you have pictured. Nice gun!
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    At 22 it was a pistol with lead, 40 gr, solid, round nose, standard velocity bullets. At 42 it was a single shot 22, same ammo, At 52 there was a scope on the rifle, same ammo.

By the time I got to 62 it was a semi -auto rifle with scope with leaf off and 20 gauge shotgun #6 shot with leaf on and I wore binoculars.

Today the only time the rifle gets used is if I'm in my old deer stand and the little critters are on the ground in the snow. Today my shotgun has a scope on it, still using #6 shot, light loads, penetrates the hide but not the meat, shock kills them dead, or has so far.

Old eyeballs with cataracts can't get on target quite as fast as they used to so one makes adjustments. Fortunately paper targets stay still and are still rifle and pistol friendly............usually. :D
  10. whirley

whirley New Member

I prefer the .22 short cartridge. With patience, they come down to the ground, and I've learned they are not startled by the sound of the .22 short. My first rifle many years ago was a Winchester model 57 rifled and chambered for the ,22 short with aperature sights. The short requires rifling ratio of 1-20 inches, that's why they aren't very accurate with 1-16 used with long rifle cartridges.When my grandson was old enough to go squirrel hunting in our woods, I had a Mossberg relined for .22 short. I don't like a shotgun shooting into leafy trees, too much shot is absorbed. Besides, teaching my grandson to be patient and careful is all part of the job.
  11. Zane71464

Thanks jacksonco, Ive taken several with it the first part of season. I like the gun but, would love to have the .22lr on top along with the 20ga.! The under barrel it's self (20ga.) does an exellent job, and to my suprise, really reaches out there.
  12. Zane71464

I'd love to have the 12ga. version, but like you said about the .22mag, it reaches out there! Ive got the adjustable sight set at 100yds, and it's "there" with the .22mag! I hadnt shot it much til this year, but it is indeed a good shooting gun.
  13. Boris

Boris Former Guest

These are my two main tree rat gitters.

Snake charmer with a M4 stock and a Savage camper. The camper is a 22rf over a 20 gauge cylinder bore.

[​IMG]
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    We won't give you any he.. here, but who hunts for sport? I hunt to put meat on the table, I always have, and I always will. I'm not against sport hunting, it's just not the way I was raised.
  15. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

.22 CB longs-quiet for where I live and run em through my Winchester 75.
  16. icm856

icm856 New Member

We have both fox and grays around here. I have a permit to hunt on about 5600 acres of IL dept. of Natural Resources and US Army Corps of Engineers land along the Mississippi river. It's only 3 miles from my house.

[​IMG]
  17. Zane71464

18. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Any of you squirrel hunters ever witnessed a migration?
  19. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

They're out of control pests around my Dad's house up in Missouri. He lives in the city limits where discharging firearms is seriously frowned upon by the police, so he got a 1,000 fps pellet gun with a 4-power scope to help weed out his crop of pesky little rascals. Last fall I think he told me he eliminated over 60 of them on his 3/4 acre lot. He cooks them up with some BBQ sauce and enjoys his dinner. He told me that during the Great Depression, squirrels were one of his family's primary sources of meat.
  20. Zane71464

Sure have carver. Last year we had an acorn shortage and there were about 6 oak trees around my house that happened to be loaded and they came from everywhere it seemed. At my deer feeder all last fall and winter, they ate non-stop. This year the acorns are as abundant as I have EVER seen around here, and when the acorns came on and began to fall, they slowly began to "disapate". Right now/all this fall since the acorns have all fallen (which there are EVERYWHERE), there isnt a tree rat to be seen other than two that comes to the deer feeder from time to time.
    Ive been back all through the woods behind the house and in front and only have seen just a few here and there. It's like they have moved a far way away and rightfully as the acorns literally cover the ground everywhere...they dont have to just hand around one area. But as far as where they are nesting, I havent a clue.