The Firearms Forum banner

Tree stand hunters--a wake up call to be safe

896 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  polishshooter 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Perfect example of why you should never use a tree or even ladder stand without a safety harness. And one with a slow release devise. I've heard of people falling asleep and falling out, adrenaline rushes and falling out and just being stupid and falling out. Even heard of people dieing from falling out with a harness on and stuck hanging there so long that the blood pooled in their bodies and died from loss of circulation caused by the leg straps.

#3 ·
I have always had success with homemade stands that were no more than 10 feet off the ground. The first was a climber but still I never was up more than about 10 feet. My son and I killed many deer from a homemade wooden ladder stand only 8 feet high!

I didn't use a harness per se but usually had a rope around the tree clipped to my belt.

My wife bought me a 16 foot ladder stand about 8 years ago that I used full height for one day. Putting it up by myself was the most dangerous thing!

When I moved it I removed a section and made it 11 feet. It's high enough, much sturdier and I have used it that way since. I do not use a harness but because it has a sling seat which keeps you within the rails I have fallen asleep in it many times without any danger of falling out.

The problem I have with any harness I have tried is your biggest vulnerability is climbing in and out, when you wouldn't be hooked up anyway.

I know many people who hunt higher, some climb 20 or 30 feet up! They better be using a harness or else a parachute!

I have never felt the need to get that high. Yeah I get busted from my scent maybe more than them, but all I really want is to get above the brush and clutter to see better. Plus it is much more stable at 11 feet than 16, especially in the wind!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.