Tricking out a 10/22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

libertyman777
    (10/10/02 9:02:13 pm)
    Reply Tricking out a 10/22
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay Gentleman I need some advice. I would like to have one of these tack driving .22s. I have about $450 dollars to spend and that includes the $160 I need to purchase a 10/22. (I sold mine some time back and really regret it) I have found a nice thumbhole stock at boydboys.com for about $110. Should I go with a Green Mountain heavy barrel. The blued ones are available for around $90. I'm now at $360 and I still don't have a scope or mounts or any trigger work. Do I need to replace the trigger or have it tuned? Looks like it's going to be tight. I don't necessarly need the thumbhole stock but I will need one that will give me the proper alignment for the scope. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/10/02 9:34:53 pm)
    Reply Re: Tricking out a 10/22
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello libertyman777 and Welcome to the Firearms Forum

It sounds like you are on track to build my rifle...

My Tac Driver consists of a Boyds Blaster stock, power custom titanium trigger, hammer and sear, spring kit, buffer, extended mag release, Green Mountain 18" heavy barrel and topped off with a Tasco TG6x24x44 scope.

Have fun and good luck!

In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/11/02 7:13:55 am)
    I can tell you it was my 1st and I done all the work myself, but with the suggestions and moral support of Shooter45.
    What shooting I've done has been at about 40 yrds at a bench rest and every shot is inside a dime. The Green Mountain barrel I have was sensitive to the target ammo I was using (Eley & Remington). I have since polished the chamber, and have yet to shoot it with different ammo. I'm closer to $600.00 on that project and keep in mind, I saved $$$ as I went too. I got my stock & barrel on sale and my scope I bought used. I'm not familure with the mil dot scope however I was considering 1... I could have saved a little more $$$. Feel free to ask any questions you like, I'll be more than happy to answer what I can. And by all means if interested... talk with Shooter45, He's a great guy to know.

In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.

SkiingFool1974
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/02 11:05:46 pm)
    Wow Zigzag, she sure is beautiful! That's what my 10/22 dreams of becoming when she grows up!

Elite Sniper Squad
    (10/15/02 10:11:13 pm)
    Reply 10/22
    but can it shoot under an inch@ 100yds? no wind good luck

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/16/02 6:50:42 am)
    Reply Re: 10/22
    ESS, what are you shooting under a inch @ 100yds?

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/17/02 9:49:14 am)
    Reply Re: 10/22
    hit the pawn shops and buy a used 10/22 whine and cry about the dings and scratches on the wood and barrel (don't matter those get removed anyway) to beat the poor dealer down might be able to save enough to buy rings and bases

libertyman777
    (10/17/02 3:56:41 pm)
    Reply RE: 10/22
    Picked up a stainless 10/22 today for $137 used. My best price to date on a new blued carbine was $179. Does anyone know what a stainless Green Mountain Barrel costs? Thanks.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (10/18/02 8:10:37 am)
    Reply Re: RE: 10/22
    Brownell's lists the Green Mountain SS barrel @ $147.75.

libertyman777
    (10/21/02 2:16:13 pm)
    Reply RE: Tricking out a 10/22
    I was quoted a price from riflebarrelsupply.com of $99 for a 20 inch GM stainless. The only problem is that they are on back order. Is anyone out there currently waiting for a SS barrel from this company? If so how long is the wait?

Stratcat67
    (10/31/02 2:47:21 am)
    Reply Tricking out the 10/22
    ok guys, lets go the other way with this. I've been wanting to take a 10/22 and turn it into an assault looking rifle (my answer to an AK that I don't have the place to shoot) what would you guys do to it? I'm open to anything, going to use it for target shooting, and the result must be accurate is my only concern. I'll change stock, barrell, whatever..

thanks..
    John

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/31/02 9:25:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit Well...
    I'd start with mounting the "Theatre Scope" like ZigZag2 has on his...

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/31/02 10:38:23 pm)
    Reply Re: Well...
    The choice in scope actually came from Shooter45. I'm glad I took his advice. On the down-side of it, I understand that Tasco has gone belly-up

Kayl
    (11/5/02 7:53:54 pm)
    Reply What's still original on your weapon, Zig?
    Was thinking about buying a custom made 10/22 - the kind made by Volquartsen, Clarke, etc.

Vol's are around $1,000. Are these really worth it or do you get the same thing buying parts?

Zig, does your weapon even have any original Ruger 10/22 parts on it? Or could you have just bought a bunch of parts and assembled them (regardless of how you actually did it)?

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/5/02 8:31:54 pm)
    Reply Re: What's still original on your weapon, Zig?
    Hiya' Kayl, and welcome to The Firearms Forum.

The only "original" Ruger parts are the receiver, bolt and firing-pin. Everything else inside is Power Custom Titanium hammer, sear and adjustable target trigger, spring kit and buffer.

It's good to have you with us, feel free to post anywhere you like. You'll find we're a great group.

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/5/02 8:33:22 pm)
    p.s. I found building the rifle myself was fun and rewarding.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/6/02 10:21:42 am)
    Welcome Kayl....!!!

Are the Vol`s worth the money??? If you have it, most certainly !!!!

LTS

riderbob
    (12/29/02 12:20:11 am)
    Reply tricking out a 10/22
    Hey liberty

I just got finished building my little tacker. Regarding some of the fun stuff, I use a hogue overmold stock some volq parts, (buffer, ext mag release, ect.) tasco 3x9 scope and something just a little different in a barrel.
    I was chasing around on rimfire central and came across this little company called whistle pig. What i read really caught my attention. The build a 7005 alu. bull barrel w/ a steel alloy liner that weighs only 15 oz. This is the web addy www.wpgbc.com. I have yet to really see what this barrel will do in the accuracy dept, as i have only had the gun built since Christmas, and have not had the time to get it sighted in yet. Hoping to do that tomorrow after church. The gun is very well balanced and has a good feel. It will be used mostly for shooting rabbits, chucks, and any other critter that causes problems here on the farm.
    I hope this helps

Rider

deadeye006
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/1/03 10:30:35 am)
    Reply mag
    Has anyone ever tried one of those 25 round magazines for the 10/22?

gram22
    (1/1/03 12:42:15 pm)
    Reply Re: mag
    I have used one of the Ramline steel-lips 25rd. mags before. It worked flawlessly and proved to be a lot of fun. On the down side, takes a hell of a long time to load compared to the standard factory magazines. If your really serious, there are speedloaders available that take away the hassle. If your going to buy one of these magazines, try to get it with the steel-lips instead of the hot-lips. The steel-lips will last you longer, and work more reliable. Try this website: www.rugermags.com

DudleyOutlaw
    (1/8/03 2:31:12 pm)
    Reply Shilen 10/22
    I was going to put in my opion on tricking out a 10/22. I've had probably 5 or 6 10/22's and I've done something to them all . The first one I had was a ss 10/22 with a Fajen Shilloette stock Shilen bull barrel and Valquresten trigger job with a 6x24x44 scope time I had all the bells and whistles I had around $1200.00 In this particular gun.But on the other hand it weighed close to 13lbs way to heavy for hunting or really practical shooting. So know i have a ss 10/22 with a varmit barrel and a synthetic stock and a power custom trigger job and the same scope. This gun to me is alot more fun to shoot and was a heck of alot cheaper than my other one and if I shoot match grade ammo in it it holds it own even with my shilen 10/22 just my two cents

libertyman777
    (1/18/03 12:26:36 am)
    Reply Thanks
    Thanks for all the input guys. I picked up a Kimber sporter stock at a gunshow for $50. Went with a GM stainless, fluted barrel and topped it off with a BSA mildot. I having the trigger worked as we speak. I apperciate all your help.

gram22
    (1/18/03 12:39:05 pm)
    Reply Thanks.
    Sounds good, you'll have to send us a picture of it when you get it all set up.
  2. jamess67

jamess67 New Member

Wow great suggestions guys. Even though I dont know anything about some of it. ( trigger mods ect..)
    First since Im a new member i have to ask how can I get a look at ZigZags 10/22?

Second, I have a 10/22 its a stocker with hi rise scope mounts and a Bushnell 9x variable power scope. This paritcular weapon had the synthetic stock that is recessed inward with the Ruger Logo on both sides. Can anyone tell me about this stock?

With my present set up what can I expecet for accuracy. and is a new custom stock and barrel really necessary for it to be accurate. Also can a GM barrel fit on my present stock.

Thanks for your input!!!
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Welcome to TFF, jamess67!

Unfortunately, you can't see the 10/22. :( We used to be on a different server, using their forum software. When we moved to our own server and bought our own forum software, we had to manually move all the posts that had been made up to that point. Any time you see a post like the one above that is a compilation of many posts, it is one from the old site. Unfortunately, we were not able to bring the pictures with us when we moved.

But there are plenty of pics on our site; keep on checking them out! :)
  4. Jim Bell

Jim Bell Guest

Guys ,
    When I consider all the money I spent trying to get my 10/22 shooting as good groups as a $90 Chinese Norinco JW15 bolt action, I consider it was trying to make a silk purse out of a Sow's ear.
    The 10/22 is a fantastic little rifle and is great for what it was originally intended for .
    Here are some problems:
    Sloppy bolt in a aluminum action and it being an auto loader to boot.
    Sloppy firing pin in a wide slot in the bolt allows the firing pin to strike differently on each shot.
    Big sloppy chamber to allow feed for the auto loaded round.
    Big headspace allowing the round to sit any which way in the chamber and remember that sloppy bolt too.
    Poor bedding and receiver hold down in the stock.
    Terrible trigger pull, although this can be fixed in the stock trigger.

You can make the 10/22 into a good tack driver but it takes a lot of money and ability.
    My experience was that I could get reasonable accuracy to a degree but it was not always consistent so that I could win any competition with it.
    Good luck
    jim
  5. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

If you're thinking about the Boyd's stock why not go with one of thier stock/barrel packages? The bbls are by ER Shaw which have a very favorable reputation. Skip the DIY trigger stuff and just send your entire trigger assembly to TT Shooter and for $80 shipped you'll get an AWESOME trigger back set at your given weight with some very nice additionl touches as well. His is just as good as the $200 JARD and only beat out by the $300+ Kidd.
    Go hang out on www.RimfireCentral.com for a bit. look around the "ultimate" forum and look at whta others have done. You can go really wild or stay relatively lowkeyon the 10/22 builds.

While not intended to be a tackdriver from the factory, these little gems CAN be built into a VERY accuarte auto.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  6. Mike_MTM_Rolla

Mike_MTM_Rolla New Member

ah please see my thread on the 10/22 hobby.
  7. Krag1899

Krag1899 New Member

Has anyone tried to convert the Ruger 10/22 to shoot the 17 HMR ? If so, what was needed ?
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Some good info there!
  9. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    you have been given some good advise,but be careful.i started out like you are but then my girlfriend bought me a very expensive fagen thumbhole stock and i took off from there.i would hazard a guess i now have including the scope around 15-1500.00 in mine and it can go higher.have fun with your project and hope you dont develope an addiction like i have. old semperfi