Tried a new shooting range today.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VegasTech702, Oct 5, 2006.

1. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

I usually go to the same indoor range every week here in Las Vegas. American Shooters on Arville and Spring mtn. They are alright, but they do not have an awesome ventilation system. When there is a full range, it gets way to smoky in there for me. Plus the ventilation they do have tends to blow around the targets just enough to make you less accurate. In addition, they have a woman working at the counter for the range that seems to always have a pissy attitude.

That being said I decided to go down to the Discount Firearms range on South Highland drive near all the strip clubs (No, get your mind out of the gutter). I wasn't impressed at all with the people at the sales counter. Not too worried about letting a customer wait around. The shooting range however was very impressive. They have the best ventilation I have ever seen in an indoor range. Barely moves the targets but does not lack circulation or filtration. Plus they have a range master supervising the range, which I like because you can never count on the other patrons to know what they are doing. The range master was a complete opposite as far as attitude. He was an older gentleman, very friendly and helpful. To work the target motor, there is a digital panel you input how many feet you want and press go and it takes care of it.

I got a chance to shoot my reloads in a controlled environment. Suprisingly they seem to be more accurate than the cheap factory stuff. In case anyone wants to know, the Bersa T380 shoots reloads very well. I am using W231 powder with Rainier 95 grain bullets and CCI primers. No misfires or jams. Keep in mind that I am using the Lee Factory Crimp die, made exclusively for finicky auto loaders.

"That's all I have to say about that." - Forrest Gump
  2. nevjohn

nevjohn New Member

Yep, have to agree that Discount is probably the best indoor range in town. Last time I shot in there, in the summer, I about FROZE, as they had the A/C down to about 50 degrees, and darn near needed a jacket, ha.
    Course, it was 115 outside!!

I agree... the counter help is terrible. The asian gal is the owners wife (I've heard), and kinda SNOTTY. :mad: But do agree that the old gent Rangemaster is very helpful and will give advice, if asked.

As for ranges intown, stay away from "the Gun Store", as you can ONLY SHOOT THEIR AMMO, which is frangible. They also arent very friendly, and prefer to cater to the TOURIST to come in and shoot their MACHINEGUNS, etc, for that $$$. I must say though, they did have the book I was looking for, and I did bite the bullet so to speak, and got it from them, instead of ordering.

I found a place North of the 215 off Losee, near the power lines that is a fair place to shoot outdoors. Course, today wouldnt work, as it is raining. :D

John
  3. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

115% outside this old yellow dog snow bird Yankee would be dead.
  4. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

:) Hey Vegas Tech, Congrat's on the successful reloads! :)
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

115 ain't bad try that with 100% humidity around here
  6. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

Hey John when are we going to get some folks together and have a shootapalooza?
  7. john fox

john fox New Member

Whenever I'm in Vegas, I shoot outdoors in the desert. I've found a place south on Las Vegas Blvd. which is a couple of miles off the road and seems to be used by locals. Many cans with holes scattered around and shotgun shells. Occasionally see a shooter there.
  8. john fox

john fox New Member

Nevjohn: Where is the place off Losee near 215 that you shoot? Is Losee a street or road? Is it open desert or a shooting range? Would appreciate your info on this.