Trigger Overtravel Adjust - DIY

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Slabsides, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

Inspired by the current issue of American Gunsmith, I decided to add a trigger overtravel adjust on my Marlin 60's. This was done in a matter of minutes with minimum special tooling.

You will need: Drill, tap (I used 6-32) with correct drill bit, caliper (precision ruler would work), flat screwdriver set, small allen wrench and a Dremel. Only part you need is a small allen set screw (I used 6-32x1/2)

(EDIT) There are a series of pictures that go along with this. For some reason they will show up in the text correctly on some computers and not on others. If you are not seeing the pictures, they are in this http://thefirearmsforum.com/album.php?albumid=482 album (in reverse order).

***UNLOAD AND CHECK CLEAR***

Remove trigger assy and drill hole right behind trigger.

[​IMG]

Tap the hole (insert dirty joke here)

[​IMG]

Reinstall trigger assy and thread in the screw until it almost touches trigger. Insert a "snap cap" in the chamber. While holding steady pull pressure on the trigger, slowly back the set screw out until the hammer drops. Back out another 1/4 turn. Measure how much excess protrudes out.

[​IMG]

Take the set screw out and cut that much off of the front side (plus a hair more so it will set slightly below flush when complete). Slightly round the end you just cut and spot paint or blue the freshly cut end. Reinstall with blue LocTite and again run it in until it almost touches trigger then with steady rearward pressure on the trigger, back the set screw out until the hammer drops then back out another 1/4 turn.

[​IMG]

If done correctly, the set screw will be just below flush when you are all done. Let LocTite set up and go shoot!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

great piece,

I'm recommending this for a sticky

thank you for posting , this will help a lot of folks ..
  3. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

My pleasure. It actually took far longer for me to post this than it did to actually do it!:D
  4. Mals9

Mals9 New Member

I did that last year and it really works great. Very simple to do.
  5. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

Are pictures showing up with this? They are there on the computer I posted with, but do not show up on my laptop.?:confused:
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

here they show up fine
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

They show up for me, and it's a great project! Thanks for sharing, Slabsides.
  8. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

They are not showing up for me.:confused:
  9. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

Strange. Pics show up on desktop but do not show up on laptop or phone. I can log in and select "edit" and see all correct IMG/BB tags, but pics will not show. The album is "public" and I can see pics on other posts, but not this one. What gives?
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

weird eh .. but checked vie IE and NOT logged in and saw no pic's so i think because its in your album you gotta be logged in to see em
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I'm not seeing them, either. IE and logged in.

Pops
  12. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Nice, easy tutorial anyone can do, thanks for that,
  13. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

OK, this has really got me......The pictures show up on my home desktop every time, but do not show up on my laptop, Droid phone or desktop in my shop. All PCs are running IE and it does not change things if I log in or not. I can log in and click "edit" and see all correct IMG tags from any computer, but the actual pics only show up on one. Verified that the album is selected "public". Any ideas?:confused:
  14. da357mag

da357mag New Member

I have a laptop,and it showed up fine! I just clicked on the link and logged in and there they were! It looks like it would work with any rifle with a trigger guard that has a little "meat" to it. On something like a CZ with the thin strap TG, I don't think it would work without adding something to hold the adjuster!:eek: but maybe once it is set, it would be OK!:D Doug

BTW: I installed an adjustable sear, and the rifle now has maybe 1/32" of overtravel, I can live with that!:D Doug
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  15. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

If you have a thin guard, you can do the same mod shown above, but to the trigger. It's just a little more disassembly (and great care when drilling the hole). Now if you have a thin guard AND a thin trigger, you are basically SOL. About the easiest thing to do there would be to drill the guard to clear the set screw and place a jam nut on either side. Adjustment would be tedious and it would not look all that attractive...but it would work.
  16. rhinochaser

rhinochaser New Member

Very nice. I was looking into doing this to my 10/22. Thanks for the walk through.
  17. tbspeed1

tbspeed1 New Member

I did this to my 10/22 and boy is it sweet.
  18. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

i have used this mod for several yrs, works great.

if u have a thin guard take a small piece of aluminum or steel and file it to fit behind the trigger and use a bit of JB WELD to hold it in place. after it dries it can be sanded or filed to clean up and a bit of black paint will hide it. or if u wish to get picky and want it to match your blueing a bit of glossy dark blue paint and add black to it till u get the right shade or at least close to it and almost custom.
  19. OverDraught

OverDraught New Member

Nice Mod - I've seen it used before on a pocket pistol.

A quicker and easier solution is to cut a pencil eraser to the needed length and glue it to the inside of the trigger guard (or to the back of the trigger), then blacken it with a sharpie.
  20. Tigwelder

Tigwelder New Member

OverDraught is right on with the eraser. I have it on a couple of my pistols and haven't had any problems. You cut the eraser to what length you think it should be then glue it on and the fine tune it with a small file or a finger nail sanding board. My wife doesn't even know how good her sanding board worked. If you don't like it you can just pop it off and clean off the glue and no harm done.