The Firearms Forum banner

Trigger Overtravel Adjust - DIY

22K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  fuzebox40 
#1 · (Edited)
Inspired by the current issue of American Gunsmith, I decided to add a trigger overtravel adjust on my Marlin 60's. This was done in a matter of minutes with minimum special tooling.

You will need: Drill, tap (I used 6-32) with correct drill bit, caliper (precision ruler would work), flat screwdriver set, small allen wrench and a Dremel. Only part you need is a small allen set screw (I used 6-32x1/2)

(EDIT) There are a series of pictures that go along with this. For some reason they will show up in the text correctly on some computers and not on others. If you are not seeing the pictures, they are in this http://thefirearmsforum.com/album.php?albumid=482 album (in reverse order).

***UNLOAD AND CHECK CLEAR***

Remove trigger assy and drill hole right behind trigger.

Tap the hole (insert dirty joke here)

Reinstall trigger assy and thread in the screw until it almost touches trigger. Insert a "snap cap" in the chamber. While holding steady pull pressure on the trigger, slowly back the set screw out until the hammer drops. Back out another 1/4 turn. Measure how much excess protrudes out.

Take the set screw out and cut that much off of the front side (plus a hair more so it will set slightly below flush when complete). Slightly round the end you just cut and spot paint or blue the freshly cut end. Reinstall with blue LocTite and again run it in until it almost touches trigger then with steady rearward pressure on the trigger, back the set screw out until the hammer drops then back out another 1/4 turn.

If done correctly, the set screw will be just below flush when you are all done. Let LocTite set up and go shoot!

See less See more
#8 ·
They are not showing up for me.:confused:

#9 ·
Strange. Pics show up on desktop but do not show up on laptop or phone. I can log in and select "edit" and see all correct IMG/BB tags, but pics will not show. The album is "public" and I can see pics on other posts, but not this one. What gives?

#13 · (Edited)
OK, this has really got me......The pictures show up on my home desktop every time, but do not show up on my laptop, Droid phone or desktop in my shop. All PCs are running IE and it does not change things if I log in or not. I can log in and click "edit" and see all correct IMG tags from any computer, but the actual pics only show up on one. Verified that the album is selected "public". Any ideas?:confused:

#14 · (Edited)
I have a laptop,and it showed up fine! I just clicked on the link and logged in and there they were! It looks like it would work with any rifle with a trigger guard that has a little "meat" to it. On something like a CZ with the thin strap TG, I don't think it would work without adding something to hold the adjuster!:eek: but maybe once it is set, it would be OK!:D Doug

BTW: I installed an adjustable sear, and the rifle now has maybe 1/32" of overtravel, I can live with that!:D Doug

#15 ·
I have a laptop,and it showed up fine! I just clicked on the link and logged in and there they were! It looks like it would work with any rifle with a trigger guard that has a little "meat" to it. On something like a CZ with the thin strap TG, I don't think it would work without adding something to hold the adjuster!:eek: but maybe once it is set, it would be OK!:D Doug
If you have a thin guard, you can do the same mod shown above, but to the trigger. It's just a little more disassembly (and great care when drilling the hole). Now if you have a thin guard AND a thin trigger, you are basically SOL. About the easiest thing to do there would be to drill the guard to clear the set screw and place a jam nut on either side. Adjustment would be tedious and it would not look all that attractive...but it would work.

#18 ·
If you have a thin guard, you can do the same mod shown above, but to the trigger. It's just a little more disassembly (and great care when drilling the hole). Now if you have a thin guard AND a thin trigger, you are basically SOL. About the easiest thing to do there would be to drill the guard to clear the set screw and place a jam nut on either side. Adjustment would be tedious and it would not look all that attractive...but it would work.
i have used this mod for several yrs, works great.

if u have a thin guard take a small piece of aluminum or steel and file it to fit behind the trigger and use a bit of JB WELD to hold it in place. after it dries it can be sanded or filed to clean up and a bit of black paint will hide it. or if u wish to get picky and want it to match your blueing a bit of glossy dark blue paint and add black to it till u get the right shade or at least close to it and almost custom.

#20 ·
OverDraught is right on with the eraser. I have it on a couple of my pistols and haven't had any problems. You cut the eraser to what length you think it should be then glue it on and the fine tune it with a small file or a finger nail sanding board. My wife doesn't even know how good her sanding board worked. If you don't like it you can just pop it off and clean off the glue and no harm done.

#23 ·
can you also install a set screw on the top of the trigger to reduce creep?
Yep. If you look at a DIP Marlin trigger/guard combo set, they do both...
you can also just buy an adjustable trigger from DIP and install it easily.

Here's a shot of my Wifey's pink DIP guard before installing all the parts.

Installed...waiting on safety button to arrive...

MCARBO also has a nifty Marlin trigger setup...found at the RFC website.

#24 ·
Yep. If you look at a DIP Marlin trigger/guard combo set, they do both...
you can also just buy an adjustable trigger from DIP and install it easily.

Here's a shot of my Wifey's pink DIP guard before installing all the parts.

Installed...waiting on safety button to arrive...

MCARBO also has a nifty Marlin trigger setup...found at the RFC website.
:thumbsup: That is the best thing I've ever done for my Marlin 60,
world of difference! ;)

Reactions: Big Shrek
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.