Trigger Overtravel Adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by trenchdog1914, Jan 14, 2010.

1. trenchdog1914

trenchdog1914 New Member

I've got an WW2 Stevens 416 .22 target rifle. There's a screw and spring mounted on the back of the trigger to adjust the overtravel. What's the right procedure to do this and not create a problem? I put an old 15X target scope on it and am getting 3/4 inch 10 shot groups at 50 yds, rested, when I do my part. Great rifle! Appreciate any help. I was thinking about having a gunsmith do a trigger job but will try the adjustment first.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

The way I do it and its not necessarily the only way is to adjust the overtravel screw in until the trigger no longer drops the sear to fire the gun. At that point I start turning the screw out 1/4 turn at a time until it does drop the sear. After that I will turn and additional 1/2 turn. The reason for this is to make up for any changes to the engagement that may occur such as fouling, atmospheric changes etc. There is nothing more frustrating to adjust overtravel to the minimum and go out to the range, pull the trigger and nothing happens because its warmer out now than the day you adjusted it or you got some grease build up that won't allow it to drop.
  3. trenchdog1914

trenchdog1914 New Member

thanks for the info.