Trigger play on a 1943 No.4 Mk. 1 .303 British Enfield

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Hawke, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hawke

Hawke New Member

Hello all,

Just a quick question. I am cleaning up a decent example of the title gun, and I have noticed that the trigger seems to have about 1/3" of play in it before it connects with the lever which actually releases the bolt for firing. Please forgive my failure with regard to the use of the technical term for that particular component; the fact of the matter is that I don't have my reference book handy and to go and get it would mean waking my wife, and let's not touch on THAT topic.

Is this amount of play normal for this gun, or am I missing something? It seems to work just fine otherwise. Then again, it seems as though a small spring between the back of the trigger and the wood of the stock would solve the problem, but I cannot see where the gun begins to allow for such a thing...
  2. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I bet that is normal.
    I have a "Enfield 1917" that has about a half inch travel. My Springfield 03 made in 1942 has about 1/3" travel. The only rifle that I have that doesn't have that condition is my new Howa.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

1/3rd" is a bit much but not beyond ok

both the pin and the trigger are mild steel and can wear

trigger wear can be tightened a bit by figuring the direction of wear and using a centre punch , displace metal into the worn area , redrilling the holes concerned and using a bigger pin ( suitable case hardened to avoid this problem in future )
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Most of them don't need any wear to have at least 1/4" play. It is just the way they were made.

Jim
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

true eh ,
  6. JLA

JLA Moderator

I miss my fazakerley no.4 mk1 .303. i sold it and a 03A3 to a stranger at the gunshop one fine day.. Momentary lapse of reason i guess. Been kickin my own arse since..