Trigger pull

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by yetiman, Feb 25, 2012.

1. yetiman

yetiman New Member

If this has been asked I can't find it anywhere. I have the ATI Commander and would like to know how to make the trigger pull easier. Would it be better to invest in a match trigger or is there something I can do to the existing setup?
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Leave your pistol alone. Find a local gunsmith to do the job.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would higgly recommend a gunsmith. It's much cheaper having a professional do a trigger job as opposed to having them fix a mistake and the trigger job. Also, make sure they come recommended. Not all gunsmith's are created equal.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    +1
  5. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

Or just get a grip spring thing and make your finger think it is light :):D
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

Unless you are very machanically inclined and know 45 autos, leave it alone. As an example, what looks exactly like a screw on the right side of the gun opposite the mag release is NOT a screw at all. It is often broken by those who don't know that it is really a twist lock that can only be unlocked when the mag release button is pushed in. Only then can you remove the trigger from the gun. All of that being said you don't even have to remove the trigger to do an action job of lightning the trigger like you want to do. You should also look for a gunsmith who has a jig to put the trigger parts in order to really do a good job, not every smith has the jig and then again not every smith can do a trigger job on a 45 auto. The jig is not manditory but it sure helps.

Ron
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

+1
  8. yetiman

yetiman New Member

This is why I ask the questions. I figured it would be a simple tweak but don't want to risk ruining a perfectly good gun so will look around and ask some questions in my travels in Tennessee. Thanks everyone!
  9. ignats

ignats Member

It involves stoning the sear and it really takes an experienced hand. I've been collecting and shooting Government Model (M1911) type pistols for over 40 years (Gawd it's been that long....) I can completely disassemble and reassemble blind folded - almost - and would not attempt it. The least damage you will do is make your it worse, the worst you'll do is hurt someone or yourself when it fires on it's own.

Like the others said, go to a pro and be selective find someone who comes highly recommended and not Bubba.
  10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

IIRC, you're gun is new - shoot it some before any mods...
  11. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

ATI 1911's use standard 1911 parts except the pathetic recoil spring they have. Just swapping parts won't always get you the trigger your looking for. Do not try to do a trigger job yourself. Botched trigger jobs cost more to repair then just having a smith do it right in the first place. If i get a botched trigger job in house, I junk the parts bc I don't know what they did to them. So your looking at replacing the sear, disconnector and hammer at least. Thats 100 bucks right there.
  12. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Left my 1911 with the gunsmith yesterday, he is going to do some site work and work on the trigger. Hopefully I won't have a Springfield price tag on an ATI when I get it back.....
  13. H-D

H-D Active Member

I have done a couple of "trigger jobs" on my personal guns, the first 1911 I worked on had about a 10 lb trigger when I got done I ruined a beavertail grip safety and misused an overtravel screw rendering my pistol unoperable..... I read every book, article and post on it I could find and took baby steps, it is a fine line between a good trigger and a full auto 1911.. good call taking it somewhere