trigger pull

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BETH, Mar 10, 2010.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

now i have been listening to everyone about trigger pull, got some questions. I am assuming (don't say anything) that all guns have a different trigger pull. If you wanted a lighter (dont' know if that's the right word) trigger pull how would u find out what u want, i mean u can't have a gunsmith do that for u and then say no that's not what i wanted? To me i would think if i had a lighter trigger pull i would have a more accurate shot? give me some info please:D
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

generally speaking, light crisp breaking triggers lend themselves well to accurate shooting. Meaning, you can focus on your aim and your shooting posture and breathing technique and when you are ready simply 'touch' off the shot. A heavy creepy trigger takes a bit of effort to pull thereby taking away from everything else associated with accurate shooting.

On the otherhand, some people can shoot quite well with a 'stock' trigger. I personally believe familiarity with ones firearms is the real key to accurate shooting. light triggers just help;)
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

so how do u find out how a lighter trigger feels, do u have to find someone with a custom trigger pull ??????
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

well, you just go to a gunstore and ask if they have anything with a match trigger, theyll probably make you purchase some snap caps to dry fire it with but thats the best way. Its too bad you live like 2000 miles away, id be happy to let you test some of my light triggers at my range in godley...
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

does it cost a lot to have the trigger done by a gunsmith? should u send it to the gun maker? i will ask at a gun shop but they will have to show me how to use snap caps never did a dry fire.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the factory will not perform trigger jobs, for legal reasons, Lawyers and anti gun lobyists are why 'stock' triggers suck in the first place. Most trigger jobs can be done in an hour or less with simple tools, I think i charged 30 bucks for the last one i did. I give all of my firearms a trigger job. A trigger job consists of truing the sear and hammer notches, and polishing the sear and hammer engagement. that alone will most often make a trigger feel lighter without changing the spring tension, but some real afficionados wanna go all the way and reduce trigger return spring tension as well as mainspring tension.

Snap caps are easy to use. they are aluminum 'dummy' rounds that are machined to fit the gun and look like real ammo. they have a small spring loaded 'primer' or a rubber insert where the firing pin hits so you wont risk damage to the firearm. All you do is put them in the magazine and chamber it like a real bullet and squeeze the trigger. they are a must for loading and unloading safety practices as well as trigger contol practice. You can buy them at just about any gun store in any caliber or order them online from just about any of the shooting supplyhouses...
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Do snap caps have the same velocity? i heard it is not good for gun to dry fire?
  8. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Snap caps are a training tool for in the house or wherever, so you can pull the trigger and have the hammer hit something while you work on eliminating a flinch or what have you. I've never used them but many people swear by them.

I used to use dummy rounds in my pump shotgun so I got used to pumping it after the hammer fell. I used to dry fire my 9mm, because that type of firing pin would not break. My 357 has a more traditional style firing pin, it could break if I dry fired it. My bolt action rifles will dry fire without breaking the firing pin because they hit a stop internally. Some guns will be susceptible to breakage, some not; if you aren't sure get some snap caps to be safe.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Beth, snap caps don't shoot. They are made in one peice, usually made of plastic, and just protect your firearm from posibile damage due to dry fireing. Some guns can safely be dry fired, some can't. They will not work the slide on a semi-auto because there is nothing in them. They don't shoot, they just protect the fireing pin.
  10. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

"No creep!"

A trigger is NOT to move at all, until it... well, 'triggers.' The trigger is not to budge and inch until it clicks. When the trigger does move before going off, it's called 'creep.' You don't want it. It's bad. That's what people mean when they say 'crisp' trigger.

Also, after the trigger does go off, you still don't want it to 'creep.' Usually, gunsmiths will put trigger stops to prevent the trigger from moving farther back (creep) after it's gone off.

There are times you want the trigger to move but that's for double action firearms. After the trigger has been 'staged', you don't want it to move (creep) anymore.

Do you get what 'creep' means, now?
  11. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

Beth triggers are not that hard to work on. you can go on line and fine the rifle you want to work on most the time they will show you how it works and how to ajust it. 4 of my savages have triggers with pulls down in the oz. My hunting rifles are set 1to2 lbs. And yes a light trigger will help in group shooting. Alot of time at the range and watching how you shoot and trigger pull helps to.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

also to elaborate on what Lee has posted, some rifles, for example, savage with accurtrigger, some remingtons, CZs, etc come factory with an adjustable trigger. meaning you can simply adjust them with a screwdriver or an allen wrench to get the 'desired pull weight' Accutriggers are by far the best of the stock triggers. Followed by the CZ set triggers IMO. I bought a zastava made remington Mod. 5 that has an adjustable trigger. I have it set so low the safety wont engage. I use that rifle for target work ONLY so I dont chamber a round until im ready to punch a hole in the target.

Giving a firearm a trigger job refers to adjusting (permanently) trigger parts of firearms that do not have adjustable parts. For example, 1911s, single action revolvers, most double action revolvers, and lever action rifles just to name a few, all have factory parts machined within set tolerances which usually means the trigger is going to be heavy and creepy with lots of overtravel. A properly done trigger job will make any firearm handle better;)
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

thank you everyone for all the info going to get some snap caps and to gunshop about trigger pull, you never stop learning
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

aint that the truth;)