Trip to DC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 45nut, Dec 6, 2012.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Some of you may remember I was going to DC. We went last Friday night and came home Monday night. I was not happy being mostly unarmed, but I did check a bag to take some less lethal self protection.

Saturday morning we headed out from the hotel on foot to the Mall. We hit Washington Monument, then the relatively new WWII Memorial, WWI Memorial, the Korean War Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial.

We then walked over the bridge to Arlington National Cemetery where we saw General Robert E. Lee's house, the Kennedy boys graves, Pappy Boyington's gravestone and The Changing of the Guard. At this point my legs are turning to rubber and we take the metro to The National Archives and this is the point of my entire trip - to finally see our Sacred Founding Documents.

I had a great panic moment when I saw the guard checking bags and the metal detector. I slipped my knife into my backpack and said a quick prayer. Nothing, here's your bag, enjoy your tour. The same thing happened at all of the Smithsonian's we visited. I guess my knife was legal.

I walked up to The Declaration of Independence and looked it over, and boy is it faded. I could make out John Hancock, but a lot of the text and signatures are barely readable. However, the Constitution and Bill of Rights are still in good shape.

But we know that the physical document, however important, is in poor condition and is less important than the IDEA that this Sacred Document brought to the world. In preparation for this trip I would think about finally seeing The Declaration of Independence, I would immediately tear up and proceed to cry like a little girl. My wife wondered if I would be able to control it when I finally got there.

The first time I looked at The Declaration of Independence, I was okay. I went back and stood there talking to a family about the signatures, when the full weight of this document hit me and I turned and walked to the middle of the rotunda and proceeded to melt down as quietly as possible and trying my best to become invisible.

For those among us who have had a religious experience where you felt you were standing on Holy ground, this is how I felt.

I don't have to go back and see our Founding Documents again. I have seen them and I am happy and content.

Sunday we hit the American History Museum, the Air & Space Museum and the Smithsonian Castle and saw the outside of Ford's Theater. Monday we saw St Patrick's Church, the White House, the Capital & the Native American Museum. We flew out Monday night and got home around midnight.

We took 1,322 pictures and videos and here is one of my favorites. I made some democrat friends a block or two from the WH. They located the good free stuff and settled in to enjoy the good life just how our Founding Father's designed us to be.

Democrats
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

glad you had a good time and returned home safe.
    i just wont go anywhere i cant carry. maybe i should say where i'll be checked
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I'm so glad you got to go, and that you had a good time! Every one should make this trip at least once in their life time. I videoed the whole changing of the gaurd, about an hour. Visited Arlington, and stood at Audy Murphy's grave site, and Alvin York's, amoung many others. I've now made two trips to DC, and will be going back. A whole week will not be enough time to see everything that is there. Amazing! And I just couldn't believe how lax the security was myself. From where I am I can drive it in one day.
  4. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Yeah, it's quite an adventure. Glad you had a good time and will be going back.

I met Col Boyington quite a few years ago at a book signing he was doing for "Baa, Baa, Blacksheep". If you don't have it, you should get a copy. Good read and much better than the TV show of the same name. VMF-214 (VMA-214 now) still hang on to that legend. Served with them for a couple years. http://www.3rdmaw.marines.mil/Units/MAG13/VMA214/History
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Washington is a great city to visit. I once spent a week in DC looking at all of our national treasures. The Smithsonian itself can take several days to see all of it.

Nice video, I guess you are right about the Democrat in him/her. It sat in your lap and ate your free food and probably looked for more. Just one question - did it crap on you before it left? If not, he/she is not a true Democrat yet, still in the learning phase!!
  6. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Glad you got a chance to go. I went on a 12 day field trip with my sons 8th grade class last year. Had a great time, I was surprised at how faded it was too. i think everyone should visit our capital and see the Jamestown and Williamsburg, to see where and learn why this country was started.
  7. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Here's a picture I took of some kids from my sons class participating in the wreath ceremony.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yea, I wont go anywhere I cant carry either. I refuse to disarm for anyone.
  9. 45nut

45nut Active Member

This one was apparently still in training.

DD - I wasn't exactly disarmed, I had a couple of knives and while I prefer guns, I can work with a knife too. Either my Buck 110 or Boker Automatic will get some serious work done. Bad guys don't want to get cut either.

Carver - Was this the same set up when you went last? Search your backpack and walk through a detector of some kind. They weren't looking for metal it seems, because I had a pocket knife, keys, change & my metal wallet and nothing beeped.

Does anyone know what the scanners are for? Are they looking for explosives only? I couldn't figure it out and didn't want to ask and thus become a suspect.
  10. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

We lived in Ellicott City, MD for a couple of yers in the late 80's. What a joy to pop the 3 boys and my wife into the minivan and see all of the sights. Most have no admission charge. DC is probably one of the least expensive vacations you can have. Hotels can get a little expensive, but if you stay further out from the city, DC has an awesome subway system into the city. If you arrive at Union Station, it is truly an architectural wonder.

I'm thinking that it's time to go back. I have seen the Vietnam Wall, but always get too emotional to walk close to it.
  11. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

Glad to hear everything went well. I was fortunate enough to go there on a 8th grade trip.
    What a great experience.
  12. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Tim,

I am 50 years old and remember seeing footage on TV and a friend from church was drafted and served one tour. Later in life I have some friends that served and I went to honor all those that served in S E Asia. Those that made the ultimate sacrifice and those that came back to the world and all that they endured here.

Aside from The National Archives the most poignant for me was the Korean War Memorial because my Dad served there in the USMC 1rst Division, Charlie Company.

[​IMG]

My Dad, the Browning Light .30 man
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

Been there a couple of times, did the monument tour at night. That is a special time to see the monuments. When you see names of those you knew at the Vietnam Memorial, it brings home what our armed forces members did, even when they were not recognized at home.
  14. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

Been to DC once and it is a memorable experience. So much history with the documents and the Smithsonian. Tears at Arlington and the Tomb of the Unkown Soldier. But the most striking thing to me was looking at all the huge buildings and knowing that they are filled with beaurocrats/govt workers on our payroll. And nothing positive seems to ever get done.............Building after building after building............Filled with drones on our payroll.....
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The Korean War Monument and the WWII Monument were not there when I visited DC. I would like to see them both. I plan on retiring next December and plan on doing some traveling before I die so I will go back to DC in the not so distant future. And I always have a pistol near me whether it is legal or not so I will be armed.
  16. 45nut

45nut Active Member

From the WWII Memorial

[​IMG]