Tripod Stand Weight Limit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shotgun man, Jun 15, 2007.

1. shotgun man

shotgun man New Member

I have the gorilla quad pod stand from bass pro. It says the weight limit is 300 pounds. I want to hunt in it with another person. Me and them and all our gear weigh about 350. Will the stand support us?
  2. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

If I had to guess I would say that manufacturers usually understate things like weight limits for legal reasons. If something can stand 200lbs. they'll state it at 150lbs. so that you don't put 201lbs. on there, have a failure and sue them. This is JUST OPINION but 50lbs. over should not be a problem. Just as aside, you and your buddy must be doing something right. I can't think of any one of my hunting buddies that would, when combined with me tip in at under 450lbs. I guess ya'll don't go in for my beer and fried chicken diet.
  3. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

However, I just checked out the Bass Pro Shops website and the weight limit was in bold print. Kinda makes me think it's important. I'm leaning towards it being safe but I can't in good conscience tell you for sure that it will be.
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Crawl up in it with your friend, well before opening day; jump up and down, and see if you can wreck it!
    Standard engineering practice is to 'write into' specs, a minimum of 50%, sometimes as much as 300%, overload, as a defense against litigation, but with Northern, sourcing out of China, your guess is as good as mine!
    This is little help, I know, but standard engineering practice, here, is not universal.
  5. obxned

obxned New Member

"Do you feel luck, punk? Well do you?"