1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

trouble trying to track down some proof marks

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by acwrelics, Oct 4, 2012.

1. acwrelics

acwrelics New Member

I picked up this wall hanger and I can't seem to figure out the maker or the proof marks. It does appear to be a French or New Englan .69 Musket that was turned into a fowler.

The name on the lock is S (dot) E over something that appears to be Tompion

Any help on this piece would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. acwrelics

acwrelics New Member

Maybe this is S-E Lovrion...any ideas?
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is a conversion from flintlock, and probably was made before the U.S. revolution. Beyond that, the markings are not clear enough to determine a maker or even a country. If the top marking is "S E" it could be the early mark for "St. Etienne", the French arms-making city; the lower line would be the maker.

Jim
  4. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Octagon to round barrel indicates it was probably always a fowler.