trouble trying to track down some proof marks

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by acwrelics, Oct 4, 2012.

1. acwrelics

acwrelics New Member

I picked up this wall hanger and I can't seem to figure out the maker or the proof marks. It does appear to be a French or New Englan .69 Musket that was turned into a fowler.

The name on the lock is S (dot) E over something that appears to be Tompion

Any help on this piece would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. acwrelics

acwrelics New Member

Maybe this is S-E Lovrion...any ideas?
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is a conversion from flintlock, and probably was made before the U.S. revolution. Beyond that, the markings are not clear enough to determine a maker or even a country. If the top marking is "S E" it could be the early mark for "St. Etienne", the French arms-making city; the lower line would be the maker.

Jim
  4. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Octagon to round barrel indicates it was probably always a fowler.