Trouble with a RCBS 505

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Raven1, May 16, 2009.

1. Raven1

Raven1 New Member

I'm a beginning reloader. I just bought a used RCBS 505 scale on Ebay. Before I start calling it names, maybe I need some help ( no instructions came with it). The only way that I can get the scale to hit level before I put any thing in it, is put everything on 0 except the little piece of metal alway to the right, it has to be on 1. Is this right or wrong, I'm thinking everything should be on 0.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am not familiar with the RCBS 505, is it a beam scale? If so, you are right, everything should be on zero.

I know it is this way for the beam scales I have owned - put everything on 0 then adjust the screw or bolt (or what every you want to call it) on the end of the scale to move the beam up or down to where it shows the pointer at the center position. My hornady has a "scale" with a big 0 in the center of it with hash marks above and below.
  3. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Did you get a powder pan with lips for pouring and a holder with shot in the bottom of it that a wire bail that attaches to a hook on the scale? The powder pan then sits on this. You will need both to zero the balance. If so then follow gdmoody's advice and turn the adjusting screw located on the left of the scale. It looks like a leveling screw which it is.
  4. Texxut

Texxut Member

And get a good set of check weights so you can keep your scale accurate.
  5. gazzmann

gazzmann New Member

With my 505 I had to add a small amount of "ballast" inside the hanging counter weight that holds the powder pan.
    Should have a phillips screw inside the hook.
    I ended up cutting a piece of #8 shot in quarters.
    Level your scale, set on zero, then add or remove ballast until balance arm floats at the centerline.
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
  6. Freebore

Freebore New Member

I believe the 505 has a leveling screw (foot on the bottom) to level the the whole scale, Sounds like all you need to do is to adjust leveling screw until you reach zero. Worst case scenario is to add or subtract weight to the powder pan cradle.

Overall the 505 is a pretty reliable scale, I use a 1010 and it adjust the same as a 505.
  7. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

Freebore is correct. There's a white disk on the left hand side of the scale. It's a leveling screw. Just set everything to zero and adjust your leveling screw till the scales reads zero. Be careful though, if your like me and your hands aren't the steadiest, you may accidentally bump your scale. If you do, then the leveling screw may have moved and you'll need to re-level your scale.

Good luck...
  8. Raven1

Raven1 New Member

Had it working fine in about 30 seconds. You were right about the adjusting screw on the bottom. The first part of information, is the question. Thanks again.
  9. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I took a center punch and made indentations on my scale stand to keep it in place. I made the stand out of 1X6 to bring the scale indicator up to eye level. It needs to be fairly rigid and reasonably free of vibration when you are measuring a weight. Your minimum measurement is 0.1 grain so you don't have to treat it like a analytical balance, just keep it steady.