Trouble with a Tec-22

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jcp123, Feb 13, 2006.

1. jcp123

jcp123 New Member

Hey guys, I'm new here. I got an Intratec Tec-22 a while back. It's a fun little gun, 30-rd. clip, reasonably accurate when you're close in. Looks pretty badass. However, it has a nasty tendency to jam, usually when you're chambering the first round and/or before the ~5. Doesn't matter how many are in the clip. Any ideas on how to cure this? The bolt looks like it's on a guide rod and might possibly be adjustible for spring tension. I put CCI Stinger HP through it, if that helps any.
  2. too_pointer

too_pointer New Member

3. Shooter973

Shooter973 New Member

The problem is usually the Magazine, try a standard 10-22 mag. It'll probably solve your jamming problem. :)
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  4. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 New Member

i have one. what shooter973 said.
  5. RKBA

RKBA New Member

I have a TEC-22 and the kids love to shoot it, but it won't function properly with anything but the original mag....
  6. blime81

blime81 New Member

The factory mags on these were made by ramline and marked for Intratec. Mine runs fine with ramlines that would choke a 10/22. (can't figure that one!) The Butler Creeks and Eagles will choke it everytime.

Have you cleaned and lubed it well?
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

just test fired a tec-22 yesterday (same problem) afterseeing how and where the cartridge jammed i determined the the ejector is not engaging the fired cartridge before the bolt clears the magazine. this allows the cartridge in the mag to be released and knock the cartridge out of the extractor before it hits the ejector. as the bolt and new cartidge are going forward the loose cartridge is sometimes trapped between the bolt and the rear of the barrel area. i do not know it this is cauced by a design flaw or a worn ejector. the ejector appears to be molded with the lower frame and not replaceable. my opinion is because of magazine release placement this model will never be 100& reliable without a extra long ejector. this is a similar problem high standard encountered with the 22 short versions on the military grip target models. their solution was a longer ejector on the frame.
    bill
  8. tonelar

tonelar New Member

A friend of mine came up with this solution for the Tec22, which fed well with magazines like the stock ramline but not with anything else. He tapped the stock ejector and threaded in a piece of rod (making the ejector longer by about a half inch).

Now it extracts and ejects fine.
  9. SprayPray

SprayPray New Member

can you or your friend send me drawing of this ejector modifacation? Thanks!
  10. REAPERNINK6661953

REAPERNINK6661953 New Member

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. CAN YOU SEND ME A DRAWING OF THIS

BOBBY
  11. tonelar

tonelar New Member

Will do, also the steel lips Butler Creek mags with Minimags work great as is.
    I can't draw good enough/
    I'll take some pics actually...

Be sure and insert the mags then rock them fwd til you hear them click into place
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  12. Jimpyro

Jimpyro New Member

I have had trouble with fireing pins breaking. I had ten of them made from S-7 shock steel. It is supposed to be tougher than almost anything. If anyone needs one drop me a line. I'll have to get $35.00 plus shipping, but regular ones are going for $30.00.

Jim
  13. Ohioan

Ohioan New Member

I had the same problem until I put in a Volquartsen extractor for a Ruger 10/22 whhich is interchangeable..If you look closely at the edges of the Tec-22 stock extractor, it is stamped with the irregular edges..The Volquartsen extractor is wire EDM'd from A2 heat treated tool steel with smooth edges. Alomg with a steel lips mag it works flawlessly with no further modification with all 22 ammo..I love my little "gangsta gun".. By the way, on the good steel lips mags (Butler Creek, etc.), look for the left hand lip to be taller than the right (as engaged in the gun), if not they will jam..Hope this helps...
  14. Jimdo

Jimdo New Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of Intratec. I have had many.... many.... Tec - 22's and Tec - 9's and sadly, more of them semi-functioned (jammed quite often) than functioned as they should.
  15. WBY300Mag

WBY300Mag New Member

Hello everyone. New to the forum, found it through a google search for info about Tec 22s. I need a new hammer for mine and have found a few sources online: sksparts . com, copesdistributing . net , and numrich at gunpartscorp . com
    I have done a lot of research about these companies and all I can find out is: numrich is out of Tec 22 hammers, but copes and sksparts have them. I read about several people complaining that the hammers from sksparts don't fit well and require quite a lot of grinding, not to mention the lousy customer support.
    Can anyone on here add any info to what I already have? Is sksparts as bad as those few people made it sound? Any info about Copes?
    I know this is quite a lot to ask for a first post, but I love to plink with my little Tec 22 and with warmer weather coming I'm looking forward to running a few thousand rounds down range with it.
    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  16. WBY300Mag

WBY300Mag New Member

Since I recieved no responses for my first post I thought I would try again. :)

I need a new hammer for my Tec22 and have been doing some online research. The only places I have found that have them are sksparts . com, copesdistributing . net ; and numrich at gunpartscorp . com which is currently out of these hammers.

I read about several people complaining that the hammers from sksparts don't fit well and require quite a lot of grinding, not to mention the lousy customer support.
    Can anyone on here add any info to what I already have? Is sksparts as bad as those few people made it sound? Any info about Copes (fit and finish of hammers, customer support, etc...) ?

Thanks in advance.
  17. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Never tried Cope's, but they've got to be better than SKSparts ;)
  18. WBY300Mag

WBY300Mag New Member

Thanks for the response Big Shrek!
  19. onercboater

onercboater New Member

almost all parts of the firecontrol group can be made with 1095 or similar steel and case hardened with kasenite or cherryred. I have made a hammer, a trigger/sear, a firing pin, and extractors out of bar stock 1095 steel, granted I have a milling machine and a lathe so it is easier for me, but i start out the same regardless, I use a fine spray of matt black spray can let dry and scribe out the shape of the parts needed, paying special attention to the hole location. then use a band saw to provide a rough shaping, and use the band saw (one could easily substitute a hack saw) for as much detail work as I can to be gentler to my carbide endmills. then machine out the rest with the milling machine (one could use a dremel) and recheck hole location then center punch and drill hole in drill press (if careful you could use a handheld drill). i then use a fine cut file to break the edges and then introduce the part to the buffer, once i get a nice smooth surface I go ahead and stone the sear and hammer hook smooth as glass, then heat and case harden. lightly touch up the sear surface again after hardening. the firing pin is even easier to fab and only needs a light case hardening to last a very very long time.
    the extractor supposedly doesnt need hardening however i have found that they hold an edge much longer hardened.
    the real winner for improving the function of my tec22 was replacing the crappy plastic trigger group cartridge with a t6 6061 aluminum one milled from one inch barstock. this allowed me to extend the ejector a good bit further and had provided me with 100% ejection now. It is at this point un anodized but only for the short term as I will be anodizing it soon to provide a layer of additional hardness to it. If anyone is interested I can post pics of it as I find it pretty.

thank you all for letting me share, and I hope that rather than being held captive by less than customer service oriented companies some of you will venture into the DIY end of things,,,especially for the firing pins so very easy.

Sean
  20. CongoKurt

CongoKurt New Member

Poblems with TEC-22 not ejecting spent shells or stovepiping ? I have found that was a problem also... However I solved it by holding the magazine firmly in place while firing the unit will stop this and also increase the rate of fire. Holding the magazine with the non-shooting hand (not too tight, now) firmly in place will allow the trigger to act on its own. Somewhat like the so-called "HellFire" or other such pieces of nonsense and cash wasting hardware accesories.
    My main problem was with the front sight as it snapped off twice so I now use a 1/4" stainless steel screw that stands up higher than the original and gives a better sight picture. However, I would still like to get an original front sight (which I am told is no longer produced) to make the TEC-22 back to original configuration. Any suggestions on this would be of help. Thanks. CongoKurt