trouble with an AR-15

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by kaylan1, Apr 14, 2003.

1. kaylan1

kaylan1 New Member

My partner has an AR-15 that is givin him fits. I told him I'd through it out to ya'll and see if there's help for him.

First, he had a 30rd mag with 25 rds in it. When he loads it, then tries to chamber a round, the round gets stuck half way in the mag. Like the buffer spring is too weak.

second. he has a problem with the extractor not extracting ever 30rds on full auto and ever90rds on semi.

what I've checked: buffer spring is strong, good shape. Bolt rotates smoothly in the bolt carrier group, not stiff. Bolt carrier group moves freely in the upper reciever. Bolt locks ok. Couple of times I had to use the forward assist to get the bolt to lock, but I think it might be a little dirty. thats all I got for now. I'll update when I find out more. thanks
  2. warpig

warpig Guest

First off, if this rifle fires in full auto mode is it a legally registered class 3 rifle?

If yes, then I will move your post to the appropriate forum.

If no, we will not/can not offer advice on illegal weapons.

So let us know:)
  3. kaylan1

kaylan1 New Member

Yes piggy it's legal. belongs to him, but the lower reciever belongs to the Police Dept.

what is the appropriate forum?
  4. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

This forum is appropriate.

What make is the rifle, and most importantly, what make are the magazines? 9 out of 10 times the failure to feed you are describing is due to the magazine.

What ammunition is being used?
  5. kaylan1

kaylan1 New Member

It's a bastard child, different upper and lower,
    magazines are Center Industries Mags.

the extraction problemis the biggest worry.

The feeding problem is bothersome but may have been
    resolved with polishing the ramps which was done last
    week, but haven't had a chance to shoot yet..
  6. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

Dirt, clean gas tube, be sure mags are of quality, clean
    carbon on bolt carrier, bolt, sythetic cleaner/lube inside
    and out on entire weapon, until dry to the touch!
  7. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Gotta go with the dirt, but I dont think its necessarily a gas system problem. Check the extractor, though.

S-can the mags, try with known good mags. Use brass-cased milsurp ammo (no Wolf crap).

Check the headspace for good measure.
  8. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

Ditto on the mags. The best mags are the aluminum USGI or English SA-80 mags. Also you might want to put in a stronger extractor spring (available from Wollfsprings). If it is a M4 length barrel the gas pressure during extraction is very high due to the gas port being closer to the chamber. The bolt will often rotate so fast that the extractor will swing outward due to centrifugal force and not grip the cartridge. A stronger spring and maybe a pigtail gas tube are in order if it is M4 length. If it is the 20" barrel I would remove and clean the extractor and put the M4 spring in (couldn't hurt:D ) Also check the chamber for reaming marks or burrs that might impair extraction.