Trouble with my Lugar

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by hstout1143, Feb 21, 2012.

1. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I recently inherited a Lugar, I took it out to shoot and when I got to the last two rounds of the clip the gun would shoot them as if it were a full auto. Any ideas what would cause that and how I could fix it?
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The most common reason is the shooter inadvertently pulling the trigger a second time without realizing it. A lot of parts are moving around when that gun operates and the weight of the bolt and toggle moving back forward can cause the shooter to pull the trigger again if his finger is resting heavily on the trigger.

Mechanical reasons for this to occur are stuck/broken firing pin, weak sear engagement, etc, but it would happen frequently if not continuously. Try using a firmer grip when shooting and consciously allow the trigger to reset when shooting first. If it still occurs, have a gunsmith detail strip the pistol and clean/inspect it thoroughly. A gunsmith familiar with Lugers, though, and not Jim Bob's kitchen-table gunsmithing and bait shop on the corner.
  3. hstout1143

I would think maybe I had something to do with it if it happened at other times, but, it was only the last two rounds in the magazine. When I put only two rounds in the mag both fired and it was so fast that shots sounded almost simultaneous.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Without seeing the gun, I am stumped; I can't think of a reason why only the last two rounds would fire that way. If possible, try to find another Luger (note spelling) and compare the parts that would probably be involved - firing pin, trigger lever (inside the side plate), trigger bar, and trigger bar spring.

Jim
  5. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I'd check the sear, firing pin and bolt face. Given that the pistol could have been sitting around since WWII, a good cleaning could be the only cure it needs.
  6. hstout1143

Thanks guys, I do have a few that I can look at and compare them. I don't think any of them have been fired in the last 20 years so I'll give then a thorough cleaning and try again, other than that problem it was a great gun to shoot.