Trouble With Para Ordnance!?!?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Hangfire, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Hangfire

Hangfire New Member

I had the chance to visit the great neighboring state of Arizona last week and visited a few gun shops in Prescott and Flagstaff. I was surprised when three of the four gun shops told me that they no longer carried Para Ordnance 1911's anymore. When I asked if there were any problems I got the short answer of "quality". What gives? Anybody hear of any troubles with Para Ordnance lately???

Thanks for any input!
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I haven't heard of any problems with that particular brand.....but it's not suprising. It seems like everybody and his brother are making copies/clones of the M1911 nowadays.

Some like Kimber/Wilson/Springfield are quality guns, but some are cheaply made junk.

It's not enough to copy the Colt/Browning design. The execution (materials, machining, fit, and finish) have to match the original to get the reliability, durability, and function of this fine firearm.

The moral? You get what you pay for!
  3. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

I can't get Para's website to come up. Just thought I'd add my $.02
  4. shooter22

shooter22 Guest

The reason those shops won't carry para's anymore is they probably got caught selling the hi cap mags out of the boxes. Para Quality and service is top notch. I have two paras and would owm more if I had the money. One thing I have learned in the gun industry, form your own opinions.:rolleyes:
  5. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

oh good finally ive herd someone with some positive opinion on para's:)

im about to buy one (it on order), other than this forum ive herd no major problems about para's
  6. djohns6

djohns6 New Member

Para

Just bought one for my wife . We both love it ! I think you will be pleased . Which model did you get ?
  7. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

its a new model made for aus (due to the new aussie laws)

its a P18 Limited in .38 Super, previously they didnt make a .38 super model and they still dont have it listed on there website or catalog
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Only issue I had with a Para was with the recoil spring plug. Had two fail and launch the plug scraps downrange. This was on an older, call it 8 years ago, 1911 style, not a LDA. This was a new pistol, went back to the factory each time for this. Other than that, other function was fine - this issue was a disapointment given the price of the gun.

Besides that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
  9. djohns6

djohns6 New Member

Aussie Para

I'm curious , What is different about the Aussie model ?
  10. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

its calibered in .38 super, they dont usually make a 1911 in .38 super
  11. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

While some may not remember, the FBI was using Para`s a few years back. They dropped them and the Springfield 1911 FBI Model was born. They were dropped (Para`s) for, failure to feed, stove-piping, and parts breakage and considered unreliable, it was the shortest lived pistol-----next to the 10mm, that the FBI was ever issued. But what does the FBI know.

LTS
  12. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

The current LDA series guns are the only Para's I'd take on trade in the shop. The single action guns have suffered from QC problems over the years and have a very minimal resale value.

Better just to state that we dont accept those Para's than having to lowball somebody on a gun he paid $600 for.
  13. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

just got my para ordnance P18.38S limited (.38 super) today, fired 45 shots through it and functioned flawless so far. i might go to the range tommorrow and fire some more handloaded rounds through it.

very happy so far, havent checked its accuracy yet but had no trouble getting them on the black from 25metres. too bad im stuck with these damn 10 round magazines when i could have 18 :mad:
  14. bompa

bompa New Member

I recall reading somewhere ,Brian's forum maybe,that there was a possibility that SVI or STI high cap mags would work in or could be made to work in the Para.. Don't know if these mags are available to you or not but it is something to check out..
    Guess you could get a 9mm barrel for that para also if you were so inclined..
  15. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

high cap mags have been recently banned in AUS, they are all being bought back by the government. if i was caught with one i will be in a fair bit of trouble.

not a bad idea on the 9mm barrel thing (never though of that) :)