Trouble with semi autos

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by wng-2, Nov 16, 2011.

1. wng-2

wng-2 Member

I am having trouble with my .45 ACP and 9mm. They don't cycle properly. Fairly frequently a round will get caught in the slide. I am still very much a novice, and this is primarily a winter hobby. Last winter in the interest of saving money, I purchased some Rainier plated bullets. For the .45 ACP I bought 200 grain round noses. For the 9mm I bought 147 grain hollow points. I am using Unique powder, (because I have a bunch) RCBS dies along with the Lee factory crimp die. I apologize for the lack of specifics as I don't have I-net at home anymore. I'm on lunch at work and I finally remembered to ask you guys for help as I hope to be able to successfully load these rounds this winter. I know I was using low to mid range listed loads, and tried to duplicate factory overall lengths. Thanks in advance.
  2. smlranger

smlranger New Member

I'm certainly no expert since I've only been reloading for about a year. However, with my 9mm I discovered that low range loads did not adequately cycle my Ruger SR9c. I had to use at least mid range loads to ensure good function.
  3. RandyP

RandyP Member

Without knowing your load specifics it is difficult to answer your question. Are you using published data, including OAL for those specific rounds? Comparing them to factory length only works if the factory used the same or very similar bullets.
  4. wng-2

wng-2 Member

I'm using published data. I want to say 5.9 gr of Unique for .45, and 4 for the 9mm. I will measure the rounds tonight.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I would recommend you use mid range data for both loads. Especially the 9mm. The .45 may do ok with a starting load but the 9 will probably shortcycle and hang the ammo up in the slide.

Also, make sure you reloads fall freely into and out of the chambers. Disassemble the weapons and use the barrels to test the loaded rounds just like you would a cartridge guage. and then ensure theyll function freely thru the magazine. I know single stack 1911s are picky about seating depth with certain bullet styles. The hdy XTP for example, hangs up in the mag when seated longer than 1.250" and the MAX listed COAL for the .45ACP is 1.275". just gotta verify all this before loadn 500 rounds and headn to the range.

Best of luck to ya wng!
  6. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

what about the mouth of the cartridge? if you don't debur/bevel the outside of the mouth can it cause the catridge to hang up?
  7. wng-2

wng-2 Member

Very good, thank you.
  8. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

When reloading pistol cartridges there is no need to de-bur the case mouth. And the case mouth gets beburred only after trimming has been done. Generally, 45 and 9mm cartridges do not require any trimming.
  9. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

You pretty well have your options laid out above. My experience would suggest the load is too light for the weapon, the OAL is too long or the crimp inadequate, or the recoil spring needs replaced. If the guns don't have too many miles on them it shouldn't be a spring issue. See JLA's comments and start with the "plunk test." If they fit the chamber and freely fall out, load up ten rounds with about 0.2 gr more Unique to see how they function.
  10. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

The load you listed for the .45 is mid range now. I'm going to suggest that you might be holding the auto too lightly. No offense intended; but this is called "limp-wristing". There had to be adequate resistance in the hand/wrist/arm to allow the slide to travel fully rearward with adequate velocity. The fact this is happening with two pistols leads me to think that might be the case.
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

This was my first thought, too. It is something that I myself had trouble with when I was a newbie, and it has to be corrected for autoloading handguns to function properly.

Proper grip on the gun goes a long way to correct this. Check out these articles and videos for more information.
    http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=3977
    http://www.armystudyguide.com/conte...ide_topics/m9/grip-techniques-used-with.shtml
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9uG5bPubw
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4584332856867071363
  12. dbennett48

dbennett48 New Member

I was thinking the same thing. I had this problem with my Glock 19, years ago. I very quickly learned to hold the pistol FIRMLY, and no jambs or failures to clear.
  13. wng-2

wng-2 Member

14. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

15. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

From what he described he's getting a stovepipe, which lead me to suggest "limp-wrist" as the proximate cause.